M. 6', 205#, born 1971,
    Lifts 11/2015

• Squat: 270X5
    • Press: 145X5
    • Bench: 210X5
    • P. Clean 175X2
    • DL 295X5

Training / Injury History
    Runner and swimmer for many years. Flopped around with Xfit for a few. Arrived at SS LP in Oct 2014. ACDF fusion at C5 b/c of accident in 2006, no pain.

I was having trouble with recovery on LP, so I toyed with HLM and settled on a TM, modified for my 44 year old body, which is recovery compromised because of my darling 1 y/o daughter, who wages a war on sleep each night.

Basic set up = TM with deload every 3rd week. Keep VD 85-90 percent of ID.
    VD
    • Squat 5X5 across or as close as I can get to it, currently around 240
    • Press/Bench 5X5 across or as close as I can get to it
    • P.Clean: 15 total reps, some 3's some 2's

Light
    • Squat 2X5, EZ about 205 right now
    • Press/Bench 3X5
    • P. Snatch: 2X10
    • Chins BW x 3

ID
    • Squat 1X5 (I move # when I get to 5, hold # if less than 5)
    • Press/Bench 1X5 (Same as above)
    • Deadlift 1X5 (Same as above, sometimes I'll include a 1X5 back off set)
    • Chins BW X3 (easier than Light day)

Conditioning:
    40# weight vest walk, 2 miles on the day after ID.

I've run this set up for 3 cycles now, and it's feeling pretty sustainable. Work/childcare sometimes means I miss a workout, but I've been able to make it so that I can do at least the VD and ID each each week.

I'll post the log going forward so that I have a record in case I run into trouble. And on the off chance I'm successful, maybe this will be a model for other busy, 40-something dads who want to give TM a try.

Goals:
    Squat: 315X3X5 done with good bar speed and 3 or so min rest between sets.
    Press: 155X3X5 (I'll hold her since I have a bolt screwed into my neck)
    Bench: 275X3X5
    DL: 405X5
    P.Clean: 205X2
    P.Snatch: 145X2

Good work so far. I am also 44yo, with a 4yo son and a second child on the way. You're a brave man tackling TM, I did my linear progression earlier this year with a ohp/sq and bp/dl split, now I've settled into one lift a day, which better suits with work and the kid.

Congrats on the second one, Kyle! Good luck with everything. I was thinking of moving to a one-lift a day model, something like Wendler's Triumvirate program, but I really want to put three wheels on the squat first. We'll see how it goes....

Post 6Nov2015- VD

Fri. 6Nov2015- VD

Squat 240X5X5
    Press 145X5X5 = F*
    SLDL 185X5, 225X5X2**
    Chins BW 8, 5, 5

* Press = 145X 5, 5, 4. Prior to starting this log, I've gotten 140X5X5 no problem, but I don't see much difference between 5X5 and my 5RM (150 X 5, 155X5=F @ 3 reps). I'm going to drop the 5X5 # here to 135 and move the ID to 2X3.

**I've dropped the power snatch temporarily, and moved p. cleans to light day (Sunday). I want to see if SLDL's on VD will move the ID deadlift a bit. I keep sticking at 300X5, and I'd like to see more of a spread between my 5RM squat (270) and the DL.
    Last edited by FrizzyMcpressquat; 11-06-2015 at 09:25 PM. Reason: forgot to add chins

Post 8Nov2015

7Nov2015
    Weight vest walk (40#) 2 miles

8 Nov 2015

Light day
    Squat
    205X5X2
    Bench
    205X3
    185X5X2
    Power Clean
    155X2
    165X2X6
    155X1
    Chins
    9-6-5

You have the funniest log name I've come across.

Quote Originally Posted by FrizzyMcpressquat View Post
    Squat: 315X3X5 done with good bar speed and 3 or so min rest between sets.
    Just curious about this?

Are you only taking 3 minute rests between sets now? If so, you are definitely screwing yourself out of strength development.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Just curious about this?

Are you only taking 3 minute rests between sets now? If so, you are definitely screwing yourself out of strength development.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Just curious about this?

Great question. I messed up the inter-set rest periods in the past on multiple occasions, but these days I know to rest at least 5 and all the way up to 10 minutes-- gym-time permitting, of course.
    But your question makes me think more clearly about what I mean by setting a goal of sets of 315 across on comparatively short rest. Why not just keep going all the way to 5RM at 405? Or beyond?

For me, 315 would be about 1.5 bw. While that # is not strong by many people's standards, it might be enough for me, especially if I own that weight.

This doesn't mean I won't try for a 3RM or a see what 315 AMRAP looks like. But it also means I might stick close to 315 as I age (I'm 44 now) and focus on other goals. For example, if I can get my deadlift to a respectable #, then maybe I'll do the StrongFirst Tactical Strength Challenge, max DL, max pull up, max KB snatch 5min. I've done a Spartan Race in the past, and while the "Spartan" branding is not my thing, I dig the obstacles. I'm a good swimmer, so maybe I'll do a sprint triathlon again, only this time with a decent strength base. I would even do a SS Classic competition, but mostly just to meet people, since I would get my clock cleaned.

I'd be interested to know how others think about their goals. Do you just keep going in terms of raw strength? Or do you get to a place and then use that place as a base for other activities?

Thanks, man. Several years ago, when I finally copped to being bald and set the buzzer to level 1, a friend of mine said, "You're not bald now...just frizzy." Yeah. Own the frizz.

starting strength coach development program
    But your question makes me think more clearly about what I mean by setting a goal of sets of 315 across on comparatively short rest. Why not just keep going all the way to 5RM at 405? Or beyond?

For me, 315 would be about 1.5 bw. While that # is not strong by many people's standards, it might be enough for me, especially if I own that weight.
    While it may be possible, it would be extremely difficult to never go beyond 315 and then somehow cut the rest periods needed to do sets across. I will do 305 for triples Wednesday and I did 225 after deadlifts on Saturday. I could have pushed and did those 225's x 5 with less than 5 minute breaks, but that is because I was able to do 290ish for 5 on the previous Tuesday.

My point being that I probably need to be able to do 350 for 5's with 10 minute rests to do 315 for 5's with 3 minute rests.

I'd be interested to know how others think about their goals. Do you just keep going in terms of raw strength? Or do you get to a place and then use that place as a base for other activities?
    My long term goals are a 200 press, a 405 squat, and a 500 deadlift (singles) at 275ish. I plan to start looking into maybe doing highland games or some sort of sport once I get to the new year. I'll still be weak by the standards around here, but not complete pussy weak any more.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast