starting strength gym
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Valkyrie Strength log

Default Valkyrie Strength log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I had been lifting for about 4 years, first focused on "functional fitness" then NROL. In early 2015 I discovered the simplicity and beauty of SS and began the novice linear progression. I moved to TM too early when my squat stalled, but after attending the Starting Strength Seminar in Seattle in October I returned to novice LP, deloading significantly to address form. Wolf has been coaching me online since then.

I'm female, 40 (for 10 more days), 180lb, 5'11"

I have some joint issues including SI pain and significant ligament laxity allowing for voluntary, if terribly uncomfortable, shoulder dislocation.

Yesterday's workout:

squat: 180x5,5,5
    press: 77x6,5,5 - lost count on the first set
    dead: 240x4 - broke fifth off the ground but missed the rep
    chin: 6 - wasn't planning to chin but wasn't ready to be done working

goals:
    - 300lb squat
    - 10 chins
    - becoming an SSC

And from prior workout:

bench: 130x5,5,5

I hope you reach your dream. We need more good certified coaches. I love your title. Wagner was quite a composer. Post a video when you have opportunity.

Last day of vacation, third workout at the only gym within an hour with a power rack.

squat: 185x5,5,5
    bench: 133x5,4,5 - missed rep in the second set was a fuel issue. I ate a bar and decided to get the third set and did. Really eager for a one plate bench
    chin: 5,5,5

joint notes:
    I don't power clean bc of shoulder instability.
    Some lingering right shoulder pain after a dislocation while deadlifting at the seminar in October was made worse by a hard fall on it a few days ago. Twinges while getting the bar on my back to squat,otherwise OK.
    SI joint, which hurts like a motherfucker when I sit, feels so good when I squat.

women's health notes:
    I'm 10 years postpartum. Had stress incontinence since then w jumping and running, but just avoided running because running sucks, and wore a pad when I went on a trampoline. Only when it showed up with higher squat weight several months ago did I decide it was important enough to deal with it. Now it's mostly handled after pelvic floor training. It still shows up occasionally and if I can predict it I'll wear a pessary. It's usually linked to my cycle but sometimes I'm taken by surprise, so it seems useful to track to discover patterns. Today: no pessary, no leak.

Thanks carson

squat: 190x5,5,5
    press: 78x5,5,5
    dead: 240x5
    chins: 5,4,3,3,2

Squat
    Felt good. I've been working on 1) breaking hips and knees at the same time 2) getting depth without going too deep 3) driving *up* with hips instead of going back.
    https://youtu.be/9raUEo5MmEY

Press
    Smacked my chin a couple of times. I guess rattling my teeth is a clear sign I'm keeping the bar from going forward. But ouch.

Dead
    Goddamn it. I've been trying to get this hip shift out of my dead for months. I deloaded to start from scratch and it's been feeling solid, but video tells the truth. It's still there. It's subtle, but it's there. I'm a bit reluctant to post a straight-on video of my ass, but there's no other angle from which to see it.
    https://youtu.be/YDusRXtddeA

Chins
    So far there is no plan to get to 10, just: do a bunch of chins. I'll be reevaluating this. For today I threw some in for fun.

general workout notes:
    Joined Annie (anniemichael) at her gym today. What a pleasure! Great company and a better gym than mine.
    I lifted with a belt for the first time today, borrowing Annie's sweetie's. Took a little getting used to and felt like I was going to pass out after each set of squats, but now I'm more convinced I need my own.

skeletal and neuro:
    Have taken a wider grip for my press to address a nerve problem in my right arm. The grip seems to have resolved it.
    Left shoulder feeling slightly unstable during press.
    If only my SI joint could always feel so good as after squats and deads. Sitting sucks.

women's health:
    Wearing the belt changed my abdominal cylinder awareness. A wee leak (oh, that pun actually wasn't intended) on the first squat. Adjusted and it was fine. Deads were worse, leaked on every rep. Definitely belt related.
    Last edited by pertuset; 11-13-2015 at 03:52 PM. Reason: fixed links

Wow, who took those beautiful videos???

I still only see the hip shift on the last rep...

And yeah, from what I've heard, belts can sometimes worsen stress incontinence. Bummer.

I had the best videographer. Highly recommended.

squat: 195x5,5,5
    bench 135x4,3,2+3neg
    chins 6,4,3

Kind of a blah day. I'm underslept. Feeling discouraged and draggy as a result. Back to beltless after borrowing one last time. Definitely need my own.

squat
    Felt grindy. Ass still going back rather than straight up, and I'm finding this wildly frustrating.
    https://youtu.be/08ZhHAsQLpY

bench
    I was so excited to get that plate on there that I forgot my bench last time was 133x5,4,5 NOT x5,5,5. Shouldn't have gone up today. Added some negatives to third set.
    https://youtu.be/FKX6Uku2Eb8 (first set)

skeletal and neuro:
    Getting under the bar for squats aggravates my left shoulder. Keeping the elbow lower and shoulder tighter helps.
    I suspect biking is firing up my SI pain which sucks because I bike where I need to go.

women's health:
    Leaked on the last rep of squats.

starting strength coach development program
    squat 200x2, 190x3, 185x5, 185x5
    press 79x5,5,5
    dead 250x5
    chins 6,5,4

Broken up workout today. Did squat and press at gym before running out of time, then dead at community center while my kid was in class, and chins a bit later on the playground. It was fun hearing moms talking quietly behind me as I did. ("I can't even do one." "I even tried jumping up from something and lowering down and I couldn't do that.")

squats
    I've just figured out why my ass is going back instead of up, and initially I tried to both correct that and increase weight. That clearly wasn't happening, so deloaded 10lbs to finish the first set. That was still crazy hard, so I went to 185. Still hard, and video shows I missed depth on every one of my last 5 reps. Damn it. Getting it sorted is filled with all kinds of setbacks, but I'm defining success as a beautiful fucking squat first, and a heavy as fuck beautiful fucking squat second.
    The mechanics behind sending my ass backwards seems to be that I'm opening at the ankles (plantar flexion) early, so my shins go more vertical before they should. Visualizing keeping my shins and knees in place helps. More work to do.

press
    79lb felt easy. I might make 2lb jumps instead of 1lb. A little twang on the right median nerve; minor and only a couple of times.

deadlift
    Long rest between gym and community center. Went up 10lb on deads and they came up pretty easily. My daughter joined me in the gym just before my working set, and having her watch me deadlift 250lbs was motivating. I took the opportunity to teach her to deadlift. We're both super proud of her.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/-PVNN1PFSG/

chins
    Another long rest before chins meant I was pretty fresh and able to increase by 2 total reps this time.

skeletal and neuro:
    Feeling super aware of my left shoulder, which isn't as sore but is subluxating often and easily. I'm babying it a little.

women's health:
    Realizing maybe the stress incontinence isn't as handled as I thought. Considered today a dry day but not strictly true. Tiniest of leaks on first dead before focusing attention to abdominal cylinder. In the conscious competence phase I guess.
    Last edited by pertuset; 11-18-2015 at 04:19 PM. Reason: fixed link

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast