starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finish Advanced Novice, get all LP GAINZ.

Default Finish Advanced Novice, get all LP GAINZ.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Advanced Novice Program.
    21, m, 5'9 ~86Kg.

Everything will be in Kg.

I train Tues, Thurs, Sat. Coming off a deload.

24 Nov 2015

Squat 120x5x3
    Press 50x5x3
    Chins 10,8,7
    Last edited by bhara; 11-25-2015 at 06:13 PM.

Did you think that anyone might object to using Kg. instead of lbs.? Many people use kg. We know how to convert if need be.

Not meant to condescend, but I meant any jumps/bodyweight/PRs, I saw some people using both units interchangably. Sorry if it came across that way.

Thanks for the clarification. Welcome. I'll happily follow along.

26 Nov 2015

Squat 95x5x2
    Bench 80x5x3
    Back Ext. BWx10x3

BW 87

Are you deadlifting?

Yes, though, last week ended with a heavy set of 4 (missed last rep), which was before I started this log.
    I wanted to allow recovery for lower back and not start the program on fatigue. So had 2 "B" pulling days consecutively.

I'm following the following A/B setup,
    A: Deadlifts/Power Cleans
    B: Chins, BE/GHR (Don't have a GHD, so have to setup with bosu ball and counterweight).

Plan for tomorrow is Power Cleans 81.5x3x5 (I feel I could go for a +2.5kg jump instead, but not get all 15 reps with decent form or might miss reps, so it's +1.5kg I guess).

Please correct if need be. Thanks.
    Last edited by bhara; 11-27-2015 at 11:40 AM.

28 Nov 2015

I will beat everyone to the punch. I need to eat more and sleep better. Recovery must improve.

Squats: 122.5x5x3 felt good. Finally... no knee slide. Last set:

Press 51x5x3

Power Clean 81x3x5
    . Last set:

I need to reset after each clean rep since I am too dizzy to stand straight after a rep. Use dextrose sometimes after 2nd or 3rd set.
    I also need to get better at catching a bit lower, since I tend to otherwise strain my wrists a bit, as my elbows are a bit late, as I usually catch higher. (The reflection in the back really shows this, also why I went forward on rep 2)
    Any form suggestions (squat or PC) are welcome.

Here is the real bad news.. BW 86.

Was at half GOMAD (2.9-3.1k kcal). Going to start adding whey concentrate to milk, and protein and calories in general to bring it to 3.5-3.6k. (Adding eggs, nuts, yogurt, Cheese, Corn, PButter etc).
    Was also under 1g/lbs of daily protein (at ~150g), sleeping/waking late (still 7-8h of sleep), which I will correct.

Please give any input if you feel I need correction. Thanks.
    Last edited by bhara; 11-28-2015 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Reduced to 3.5k kcal, Fixing protein and sleep first, then still more kcal if need

1 Dec 2015

Squat 125x5x3.
    Bench 81x5x3
    Chins 9,9,7
    Natural GHR 6,6,6 (with light pushup, as I am weak)

BW: 88kg. Using MyFitnessPal as suggested by Jordan in his article. Now at around 3.4k (avg) and 190 g of protein.

Questions:
    1. 15th rep on bench press was Grindr, though no real form breakdown, which means increase weight and recover by then to get all 15 next time, right? (Basically, is grinding last reps normal at this stage or should something be left in the tank?)
    2. No GHD at gym. All natural GHR setups feel like shit (lack of dorsiflexion, not stable, or cause pain in Achilles). Back Extensions setup has "bent knees", which is useless for me, as I want to improve my weaker hammies. Can I substitute BE's for Goodmornings(StraightBack) 25kgx10x3? Or am I then not doing the program? I've seen threads where people suggest it, but not necessarily for Adv Novice, hence the question. Will it affect recovery?

Thanks
    Last edited by bhara; 12-01-2015 at 02:06 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    (Basically, is grinding last reps normal at this stage or should something be left in the tank?)
    Grinding ist gut - weiter so!

No GHD at gym. All natural GHR setups feel like shit (lack of dorsiflexion, not stable, or cause pain in Achilles). Back Extensions setup has "bent knees", which is useless for me, as I want to improve my weaker hammies. Can I substitute BE's for Goodmornings(StraightBack) 25kgx10x3? Or am I then not doing the program? I've seen threads where people suggest it, but not necessarily for Adv Novice, hence the question. Will it affect recovery?
    Do what you can with what you have and try it out. See if you can handle the recovery. Titrate. Repeat.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast