starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GTL: Gus' Training Log

Default GTL: Gus' Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    The Basics -
    I'm about 3 months into SS. (In an earlier post under a different topic I had guessed it was 6 weeks, but after looking back at my log book, its been 3 months).
    6'2"
    200 lbs

DL 370
    BSQT 280
    PRSS 130
    BNCH 205
    PCLN 165

I've been declining some on PRSS but hope to meet with someone in the coming weeks to improve form and technique.

After hitting BSQT 280/5,5,5 two workouts ago I had a lot of pain in my lower back and my knees. The first time ever. So I did a little navel gazing and realized I had lifted my head during those sets, which in turn lifted my chest to high. I did a reset to 255 at the last workout. So today #'s were:

BSQT - WU: Bar/10; 135/5,5; 225/3 Working Sets (WS): 260/5,5,5 I notice I still had a fair amount of residual pain in my lower back but the knees feel great. I was completely focused on a neutral head, a point 3-5' in front of me on the ground, and driving from the hips. If the back had felt better I think the legs would have been up to 285. I took longer than normal rests for me, 4 minutes between each WS.

BNCH - A note about BNCH: I don't actually have a BNCH (as some saw from my one form video I posted last week, I do the program on the cement floor portion of my barn) I do floor presses on hard mats. The mats get me up high enough that I can get the bar to chest. Its what I have to do for the budget I live under. And it works for me for the weight I'm moving for now. If I progress I know I'll need a different setup, not just because of weight, but to be honest at this time of year in Wiscosin laying down on a cement floor in below freezing weather is anathema to my 41 year old frame.
    WU: 135/5,5,5 WS:205/5,5,5 3 min rests between WS

PULLUP - I've reached the point in SS where I've incorporated the Pull Up into the program. Pull Ups have always come pretty easy for me. I do notice a slight pinch in the right shoulder during pullups but I think that is a nagging injury from snow removal earlier this year. WU: None WS: BodyWeight (BW)/10,10,9 3 min rests between WS

All in all a good session tonight, for me. I think with some steady, paced recovery I'll have BSQT back on a steady increases again. Prior to the injury I was adding 5 lbs every session. Actually that had been true for all exercises except PRSS which as I noted above has hit a wall. I think BNCH is nearing a reset point as well. But I'm also hoping there might be some fractional plates under the tree for me in 24 days.

I'll post more in a day or two. Feel free to comment or advise. Thanks.
    (Apologies for typos or grammatical errors).

It's good to see your log. I think you are the first person to apologize for typos or grammatical errors. That makes me want to try harder not to make such mistakes myself. It's good to improve in something every day.

You have progressed magnificently. Keep at it. Let us know how your meeting with Bob goes.

Welcome to the forums. FYI, The pull-up is not a part of the SS program.

Great to have another 40+ lifter!

Quick question for the experienced lifters out there: At what weight did you start using wrist wraps for your DL's? I'm presently using what I've called a flip grip (one hand prone; one hand supinate) and alternate the grip of each hand after every pull. Right now I'm pulling 365. I do chalk up for DL's.

BSQT WU bar/10,8; 135/5,5; 225/3; 245/2 WS 270/5,5,5 4-5 min rest between sets. For the most part things felt good. Generally speaking knees, hips and lower back were tight but nothing unusual. A solid SQT workout.

PRSS WU bar/5,5; 95/3; 110/2 WS 125/4,4,5. I'm still struggling here, as I"ve noted elsewhere. I wan't surprised that the first two sets came in at 4 reps a piece. I'm still working on bringing the bar closer to the face. That is to say, I am bringing the bar closer to the face but learning to recognize the correct form better. I'm still looking forward to a good form check session with Bob G in the future.

DL WU 135/5,5; 225/5; 315/3; WS 370/3. A dissappointing pull. On my 4th pull I pulled my back. I know why, I didn't have everything tight and I got round on the way up. Its a shame too because the first 3 reps felt really good. To help alleviate anticipated soreness I quickly grabbed my 32kg KB and did 100 HS Swings. I"ve found that the fastest way to alleviate soreness from a pull is to get some blood moving through the area. I've always found KB Swings to be the right thing for flushing the lower back with blood and sweeping out the system.

Tonight I'm sore but it feels like soreness from doing to many reps the first day back on after a long hiatus from bench or squat. It doesn't have the sharp pain of a pull so I"m hoping the Swings did the trick. I'll be icing and heating, as well as stretching tonight and through tomorrow to get it back in shape for SQTs. I'll probably Swing again tomorrow too just to put blood in the area.

Apologies for spelling or grammatical errors. I welcome comments, constructive criticism and thoughts.
    Respectfully - G

While pull ups aren't part of the standard regimen I find no problem with using them as long as they don't exhaust the regular program.

I've never used straps but my top pull is only 330. If I get to the point that I lose grip using alternate grip I will take a look at the straps. I won't give up on a weight simply because I lose grip but that has not been a problem thus far.

SQT: WU bar/10,8; 135/5,5; 225/3; 245/2 WS 265/5,5,5 - Knees still hurt some during this workout. Back felt good. 4 min rest between WS's. I think I'll do one more at 165 before going up to 170.
    BNCH WU 135/5,5,5 WS 205/5,5,5 - This felt great. I'll go up 5 next WO.
    PullUp No WU; WS Bdywt (200)/10,10, 9

I'm frustrated that the knee and back injury from about 2 weeks ago is still frustrating my present SQT progress.

SQT: WU bar/10,10; 135/5,5; 225/3; 245/2; WS 270/5,5,5 Although in the last log I noted I would hold at 265 for one more WO, my legs and back felt fine and I'm eager to get back up to where I was before my injury. Everything felt strong and the bar didn't stick at any point.

PRESS: WU bar/10,5; 105/5; WS 125/5,5,5; BackOff 100/10 AFter the great in put from the SS community I've been working on keeping the bar much tighter to my body. I had been developing a moment arm problem because the bar was too far away from my body during the press. The last couple of WO's, then, I've really worked to keep the bar directly over the center of my feet and much closer to my face during the press. One other adjustment I made was to relook at the article on the site regarding pressing. I think because of my height my hands were in a little too far towards the center of the bar. I had been setting my grip based on where the knurling of the bar began on either side of the center. After reviewing the images of the models from the 'Learning to Press 2.0' article I made a small adjustment to my grip, moving out about 1/8" - 1/4". In my previous grip the knuckle of my index finger had been lining up just inside of my shoulders, though my forearms were still pretty straight up and down. With my grip moved out fractionally in both directions from the center, the knuckles of my thumbs lines up just inside or right at the outside curve of my shoulders, as shown on the models in the article. My forearms are still straight up and down but I find the press is much stronger with this modest adjustment. I think in addition to pressing to far away and causing moment arm issues I had also been almost pressing with a grip approaching a narrow grip shoulder press (if there is such a thing). This meant, in affect, I was pressing IN and UP instead of straight up. As Rip is keen to point out, this results in a loss of efficiency. I plan to post some photos for a grip check to confirm. Again, my reference for adjusting the grip out slightly were the models photographed in the 'Learning to Press' article. I'm still looking forward to meeting with Bob do really have my form and technique checked. Finally, after exchaning some messages with Bob I decided to incorporate a BackOff (BO) set for just PRSS's. This was driven by the axiom: To press a LOT (meaning weight); you have to press a LOT (meaning frequency). I find the greatest benefit of the BO set is to really focus on perfect PRSS form with a modest weight and work on maintaining tightness (w/out leaking any strength) for a longer duration than a set of 5.

PCLN: WU 95/5,5; 135/3; WS 160/3,3,3,3,3 I dialed back on PCLN after watching some form check videos and reading through the comments. While I'm comfortable I'm not pulling until the bar hits about midway where pockets would lay in a pair of pants on my hips, I wasn't confident I was keeping my arms straight as long as I could. So I dropped weight to focus on ensuring I have the right form. I think I will probably run with 160 again on the next PCLN workout in a week and a half.

As always I welcome feed back and constructive criticism.

V/R - Gus

starting strength coach development program
    If you are able, post a video of your Overhead Press. For many of us it is the most difficult of the four lifts. Form is vital.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast