Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to basics: The Bug War training log

Post Back to basics: The Bug War training log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello all,

Introduction

Former barbell enthusiast here. Haven't done any serious strength training in a number of years and have been just 'messing around at the dumbell rack' of late.

Planning to follow the SS novice program and have no reason to believe I won't benefit from training like a novice, and hopefully make gains as such.

Main goals: Enjoy training, make measured progress and definitely don't get injured.

Stats

Male, 35 years old
    6ft tall
    84kg / 185lbs bodyweight

Some history of sports injuries but nothing in recent years or anything that should contraindicate doing SS if I use common sense.

Programming

A.

Squat 3x5
    Press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Chins 3xF

B.

Squat 3x5
    Bench Press 3x5
    Power Clean 5x3

Additional training: I am a member of a muay thai gym and usually train twice per week. Classes are 1 to 1.5 hours in duration, to take place on non-lifting days. I am not a competitive fighter and although the classes are demanding I do not believe that they are going to interfere with my SS training in view of the fact that I would consider myself to have slipped back to a low level of strength. I have read comments in old threads by Rip where he states that it is hard to overtain in this context and I am going to process on this basis.

I am trying an A and a B workout before Christmas to get a sense of where I am and will be implementing the program as outlined above 3 days a week beginning January.
    Last edited by Bug War; 12-22-2015 at 02:03 AM.

Training Saturday:-

Warm up sets in brackets.

A.

Squat
    (Bar x 10, 50kg x 5, 60kg x 5, 70kg x 5, 80kg x 5) 82.5kg/182lbs x 5, 82.5kg/182lbs x 3 (too heavy, basically)

Press
    (Bar x 10, 25kg x 5, 30kg x 5, 35kg x 5) 37.5kg/83lbs x 5 x 3

Deadlift
    (60kg x 5, 70kg x 5, 80kg x 5) 85kg/187lbs x 5 x 1

Chin ups
    4, 3, 3

Notes:-

Squat: The weights are poor compared to times past but it's somewhere to begin. Happy enough that I have a sense of correct form. I edited the above upon looking at my notes today before today's training. Upon closer examination, I had one set at 82kg which was slower but OK, and then a set at 3 before calling it at that. I think this has given me a sense of where to begin in January - I will dial the weight back.

Press: I have some on-off tendonitis in my shoulder and have had periods where I couldn't press overhead comfortably but at the moment I am pressing without pain. The weight is, again, low, but pressing (and benching) have always been weak spots for me so this is nothing new.

Deadlift: I haven't deadlifted in a long time and was conscious of not making a fault that I traditionally used to do - my hips would rise faster than my chest and I would end up doing a stiff legged deadlift. Although the weight was light, relatively, it felt heavy to me after the squatting and think it's just as well there was just the one work set called for.

Pull ups: These were palm-out and I did them strict. Again, happy to build on these. I have experienced the downsides of doing really high volumes of pull ups in the past so would rather emphasise quality over quantity.

The above showed me that I have a long way to go to get back to where I was in my 20s. I am going to proceed on the basis that I want the weight to feel heavy but I don't want to see my form change. I am going to accept a slowing of the bar for the last few reps as alright. Hoping to add weight every workout when I start in January in line with either 5kg jumps or 2.5kg.
    Last edited by Bug War; 12-21-2015 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Some corrections upon a second look at my notes

Training on Sunday:-

Martial arts

2 x 2 minute rounds muay thai padwork with training partner

8 x 2 minute rounds sparring with 1 minute rest, low intensity

Today.

B.

Squat
    (Warm ups with the bar, 50kg, 60kg, 70kg) 80kg/176lbs x 5 x 3

Bench
    (Warm ups with bar, 30kg, 40kg, 50kg) 55kg/121lbs x 5 x 3

Power clean
    (Warm up set at 40kg) 50kg/110lbs x 5 x 3

Squat: Trying to find the right weight to begin with here, and I think that in January I might dial it back even further to 75kg for the first 1-2 weeks. I feel like this would be an ok set at 80kg but I feel like perhaps I should begin humbly and then aim for that clean linear progress.

Bench: My benching is terrible but no shoulder pain and I think, again, 55kg is not far off where I want to be starting at. Possibly even 52.5kg.

Power clean: It's been ages since I power cleaned except when re-racking a bar or something and I found that I was catching the bar slightly lop-sided for the first couple of sets. I stuck at 50kg since I couldn't possibly see a downside to doing that rather than going heavier for the sake of it.

I'm off for family-related Christmas shenanigans until the 27th so there will be no training until then.

When I start back I will base starting weights on the above two training days hopefully.
    Last edited by Bug War; 12-22-2015 at 02:07 AM.

Welcome. Seems to like you a very solid foundation and plan. I am of the belief of always erring on the lighter side when it comes to loading starting weights, jumps, resets, etc.

Thanks Agilic.

I am waiting for my 3rd edition copy of SS to arrive in the post, so I will have that to consult soon. My older copy I gave to a friend, thinking I might not need it again.

I am inclined to think that, yes, there is nothing to lose by starting lighter rather than heavier. I am mostly convinced that I should drop the weights back at the start by at least 10kg or more on what I had original thought. I don't think I am a candidate for beginning with just the bar or similar, but equally I want to have the chance at ramping up gradually rather than running into a wall in a matter of a fortnight if I overestimate where I am.

First post-Christmas training session and the start of this SS cycle. I will train B on Tuesday and A again on Thursday and that will be it for the week.

As appears to be a recognised statistical phenomenon, my body waited until I was finished work and off for three days over Christmas before letting me get quite sick. Upper respiratory then some coughing and general mugginess today. Trying not to hack up things around people.

Rather than not train I decided to take this as a sign from the universe that my idea of dialing the weight back and ramping up from there was a good one. Figuring the moving around will do me good and it was a chance to think about my form exclusively.

A.

(2 light - very light - rounds on the bag to warm up. Jab, cross, hook and round kicks.)

Squat
    (Bar x 10, 40kgx5, 55kgx5) 60kgx5x3

Press
    (Bar x 5, 25kgx5) 27.5kgx5x3

Deadlift
    (Bar x 5, 40kgx5) 60kgx5x3

Yes, the press is very light but I have a feeling my 5RM is probably 45-50kg at the moment so I will be happy to take the time making the jumps to that. I feel like I will make linear progress for longer in the squat and deadlift.

At 35 you are re starting at a youthful stage. I didn't start my first go around until I was 66. Best wishes. I'll follow along. Post a video if you have opportunity.

B workout

Missed a workout planned earlier in the week so not off to an amazing start.

Was working in with a training partner today and just went with weight selections that suited us both.

squat
    (40, 60kg X 5) 70kg X 5 X 3

bench
    (35, 45) 55kg X 5 X 3

power clean
    (45, 55) 60kg X 3 X 5

starting strength coach development program
    I think you should stick to the SS plan no matter who you are with. In any event, I'm curious that your deadlift was at the same weight as you power clean. I've never seen that before.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast