starting strength gym

Thread: Time to Eat- SS Log

Default Time to Eat- SS Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello All,

I have just started SS on 12/20/15, although I have been doing most of the lifts as part of the ICF 5x5 program since October. Started lifting late in life at 43 in April of 2015 after having arthritis in lower back, sciatica down both legs and major limitations to movement, strength due to pain.

Started at big gym in April 2015 with a trainer, started off ok but by October I was growing tired of the strange workouts that he had me doing and all the isolation exercises. After reading various online sources I decided to try the ICF 5x5 to use more compound movements. I recently found this forum and ordered Mark's books, SS and PP.

During these workouts above I was constantly eating at a deficit per the trainer and most of the time between 1600-1800 cal/day but with high protein (around 180g). After reading SS, I know I need to eat to push my lifts.

My stats

44 yo male, no weight lifting experience. Previously weighed 252 and dieted with running down to around 170 several years ago. Was skinny fat with no muscle. Gained back to around 200 when I hurt my back and couldn't run. I must say that I am so glad I started lifting as I feel better than I have in years, back is doing great. I was afraid of the DL and squats at first but I now see these are making my back stronger.

Currently 176lb
    SS lifts starting on 12/20/15
    Intake 2620cal (197P, 262C, 87F)- started on 12/20/15

Squat 135lb 3x5 (I had gotten up higher on ICF but after reading book my form sucked and I backed off to do it correctly)
    Press 100lb 3x5
    DL 185lb 1x5
    Bench 145lb 3x5
    Power Clean 95lb 5x3 (This was my first attempt, never done these before)

Welcome. You have discovered many things in your journey toward strength that most of us discovered as well. The "trainers" at most fitness centers are dopes and should be avoided. We all could offer many sad examples. It is good that you have found your way to the Gold Standard and have ordered the book. The very best way to start is through a consult with a certified SS coach. You can find one in the Resource Section on this website. I know we don't have one in SC but there are three in NC. Go visit one.

From time to time you may wish to post a video. This too is helpful especially for technique and form.

Best wishes. I will follow along from time to time.

BTW What is your height? 44 is not old to start. I did not start until I was 66.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post

BTW What is your height? 44 is not old to start. I did not start until I was 66.
    I'm 5'10". Will look into the coaches in NC. Can definitely do a video. I have been occasionally recording to check form myself. Would I upload the video on this log or is there a forum dedicated to that?

Did second workout with cleans today. Big difference from bent over rows. I was still a little fatigued from DL two days ago but got all five sets with 5lb increase. May just need some time to get used t it.

You may post it here or on the technique section.

starting strength coach development program
    Having a tough time getting my chest up on the deadlift. I can see it on the video but still struggling to get it where it needs to be.

Did get to try some liquid grip today. Made a big difference. My wife is allergic to chalk dust so that was the compromise. Was able to go back to DOH grip on DL.