starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stronger than Cancer

Default Stronger than Cancer

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Some of you may recognize my username. If not, refer to the "Hilarious" thread in E&P.

I guess you could say I'm back. I haven't lifted in two years. Back then I was 240 pounds at 6' and nearing a 500lb pull. Now, I'm a 162lb runner. The reason for this, at least in a roundabout way, is that I was diagnosed with colon cancer last year.

I was 220lbs and trying to reach that 500 mark, but I just couldn't do it. I would reset and reset and just couldn't get any stronger. In an effort to get it I put on another 20lbs. I continued GOMAD as well as rating 6 double cheeseburgers and a PB&J sandwich, all within the 8-10 shift I was working. It didn't help. I felt like crap. I was waking up in the middle of the night choking on my own vomit. I couldn't tie my shoes and breathe at the same time. So, I started walking. It was around this time I noticed pain whenever I had bowel movements. Insignificant at first, but increasingly uncomfortable. At the same time, my energy levels plummeted. I took a break from lifting, assuming I was overtrained.

In the mean time, I cleaned up my diet and continued to walk while my job performance suffered. I started getting sick on a monthly basis. Started having anxiety attacks from the excessive caffeine I was consuming in order to combat the tiredness.

Week after week the weight came off. I tried lifting, but I just couldn't do it. Instead I started jogging because I found it easier, physically. I would still go home and crash. I ran my first 10k and won my age group. 3 hours later I thought I was dying because of how bad I felt.

Weight kept dropping and I kept running. Mostly because I had grown so used to the feeling of suffering that I felt unusual when I wasn't. I got up to 11 miles and I stalled, apparently at my limit. It was brutal, intense suffering.

It got to the point where I could literally feel my bowel movements sliding past an obstruction in my inside. At this point, I knew what was up.

My dad had colon cancer in his 30's. His uncle had it. My cousin died from it at 26. I had been getting colonoscopies on a 5 year cycle since I was 20. I figured it was time to have a check up.

Needless to say, I woke up to the diagnosis of colon cancer. To which I replied, "Okay." And, I went back to sleep. My wife was horrified, of course. I will spare you all the details, but suffice it to say that I am a man of faith. My security was never in question to me.

My operation was a week later on my son's first birthday. At this point I was 158lbs and weak. They used that cool DaVinci machine where they strap you to a bed and it looks like a giant spider.

I woke up in immense pain from a right hemicolectomy. Unbeknownst to me, it was a pretty stressful surgery. Apparently, the tumor was very invasive. The surgeon told my wife to expect it to be in my lymph nodes and to prepare for the worst. I was also in desperate need of a blood transfusion, as I had been bleeding internally for a long time. Suddenly the strength loss and excruciatingly hard runs made more sense.

Not long after, my doctor returned and told us that he couldn't explain it, but my lymph nodes were all clear. No cancer. It was all removed. Obviously, I think I know why they didn't find it in my lymph nodes. As I said, I am a faithful man.

As soon as I was able I go to bed running. By then I had come to enjoy it. I ran a half marathon on a whim and finished in 1:46. 8:03 per mile. This past November I placed 3rd in a 20k trail race. But, the amount of time I had to spend running became unjustifiable. 10 hours a week on average.

So, my best friend had an entire York barbell set sitting in storage. Bench, squat stands, two bars, 450lbs of weight and some bumpers. I have two extra rooms in my house so I asked if I could hold onto them for him.

I pick them up in the morning to restart LP from square one.

I found out recently that my cancer is genetic. I thought for a while that a very healthy lifestyle would limit my chances of recovery, but it won't. So GOMAD is back on the menu. I work for Hiland dairy and I get free milk so it works out well.

I'll be updating this starting tomorrow.

Yaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Suffering is part of life. However, through your faith, you are making it a stepping stone and not a stumbling block. Your story has given me great joy. Happy New Year! I'm excited to watch your growth.

welcome back! Sorry about your butt.

Quite a first post.

All the best in your future life and training.

Tried out my new gym today. I have to say I was surprised at how much strength I had kept in the last two years. Especially since I've been running every day. I'm not strong, but stronger than I expected lol.

Squats: 135x5x3
    Bench : 120x5x3
    Deads: 185x5x1

I was a little conservative on the lifts, but not by much. I'm pretty excited and really happy that I had no abdominal pain. I used the app for the first time too. I really like it! Time to eat!

JLY

Your story is so cool. If I'd been feeling anywhere near as bad as you were, I wouldn't have been getting out of bed, let alone running 11 miles at a stretch. I'm so glad you got out cancer-free.

Good news about your starting point, too! This is gonna be awesome.
    Last edited by LizF; 01-01-2016 at 02:47 PM.

Thanks for all the support guys!

My post workout meal: ensure, small box of raisins, 4 eggs with Parmesan cheese and a large sweet potato mixed in, 1 Apple, and a large glass of milk.

You started the longest thread on this forum, here's to seeing your training log turning into one of the longest ones as well.

starting strength coach development program
    BW: 166lbs

Squats: 145x5x3
    Press: 85x5x3
    Deads: 200x5x1
    Chins: BWx5x3

Today I tried out the Press 2.0. Man, I really like it.

As a side note, my wife is working out with me and she pointed out today that we are New Year Resolutioners... Unintentionally lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast