starting strength gym

Thread: Steven's Injured Training Log

Default Steven's Injured Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi All,

I’m 56 years old, 5’7” 150-160lbs depending. I began the SS program in May, having quit Crossfit a few months prior due to recurrent knee, elbow, and wrist tendinitis (I’m prone to inflammation). I have always done things that are strenuous and/or challenging for me but am neither strong nor athletic nor well-coordinated.

I started the program with 135x3x5 squats, 115x3x5 bench, 85x3x5 press, and 105x3x5 DL. I had been using higher weights in Crossfit, especially on the DL, but wanted to start at the beginning. My elbows and wrists can’t really handle cleans any more and I have poor shoulder mobility that makes it tough to get a good there as well so I've left those off since the outset.

By August I was up to 257.5 on my squats, 200 on the bench, 297.5 DL, and 107.5 press (I have a really hard time here for some reason). I had to admit, though, that my squats had been going less deep for a while, to the point where they were no longer, effectively, squats and so I took the weight down to 175 and started over.

By October, with my squat up to a legit 230x3x5 and my DL at 305x3 I was having serious glute hamstring/discomfort (detailed at High Hamstring Tendinopathy, redux: no more squats/DLs? TL;DR partial tear, bursitis, tendinosis) I’ve had to deload/detrain considerably and have at this point just stopped squatting and DL while I figure out what the hell to do.

Happily my bench continues to climb, 210x3x4 the other day, and my press creeps upward 120x3, 120x2, 120x2.
    Last edited by StevenHodas; 01-20-2016 at 06:27 AM.

Welcome. Have you had a consultation with a certified SS coach? I'd sure do that before I make a decision about the lifts given your history. Are your diagnoses from your Doctor or are these self diagnoses? Cleans can be tricky at your age. Sully has a few in their sixties who can do them but I cannot. Are you still doing 5 X 3s for the DL? 5 X 1 is indicated for that lift. Do you have the book(s)?

Hi Carson,

The hamstring diagnoses are from MRI, the rest are from clinical exam. I never did 3x5 on the DLs, just 1x5. I don't mind giving up the cleans, it's the squats and DLs I'm sad over, and I'd be happy to consult with a SS coach if that's the right path. I have read Starting Strength.

Thanks,

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome. Have you had a consultation with a certified SS coach? I'd sure do that before I make a decision about the lifts given your history. Are your diagnoses from your Doctor or are these self diagnoses? Cleans can be tricky at your age. Sully has a few in their sixties who can do them but I cannot. Are you still doing 5 X 3s for the DL? 5 X 1 is indicated for that lift. Do you have the book(s)?
    Last edited by StevenHodas; 01-20-2016 at 06:28 AM.