starting strength gym

Thread: Thank you - Tom Campitelli and Jordan Feigenbaum

Default Thank you - Tom Campitelli and Jordan Feigenbaum

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I wanted to write and acknowledge the outstanding "mega camp" put on by Tom and Jordan in Melbourne, Australia this weekend. I've been lifting on my own since I read the Good Book, and have never been formally coached or had form critiqued other than by myself on the sets I endlessly video. I thought I was making reasonable progress technically, but couldn't pass up an opportunity to have everything unfucked by the gold-standard bearers.

Whilst I'm happy to say no dramatic unfucking was required, the small changes to stance/grip width/sequencing in real-time, being encouraged at the right times and being validated by coaches as credentialled as these two invidividuals has dramatically improved my trust in my execution of the lifts.

More than my own gainzZz, what was particularly impressive was the ease with which the coaches moulded their messages depending on the confidence (and competence) of the attendees. There was considerable variation in age, anthropometry, experience and current strength level - none of these variables would have been known to the coaches beforehand, and none of that posed a problem despite the exigencies of time.

The theory parts of the lecture were handled with panache by Tom and Jordan, who found a way to deliver the key messages about the model and its effectiveness whilst (I know that word is your pet peeve at the moment, Mark) being scrupulous in keeping to time.

The barriers to attendance included the AUD exchange rate and the timing of the camp on a long weekend. Suffice it to say, it was worth every penny for such high quality instruction. I hope future camps and possibly even a full seminar will be stewarded in Melbourne by these 2 gentlemen. They are sterling ambassadors of the Starting Strength brand and the coaching credential.

I was lucky enough to attend one of the camps in Sydney as well as a private coaching session with Tom a couple of days earlier.

I'd organised the session with Tom to work on my Power Cleans and Bench Press (lifts not covered in the camp). I don't think it's going to come as a surprise to anyone that I found Tom to be an awesome coach, able to identify and fix issues quickly and simply and give me good cues to rectify. He fixed my Power Clean/Deadlift set up from the floor with about 3 words.

As for the camp, it was amazing to me just how much stuff we covered in only 9 hours.

All of the lecture component was very detailed and interesting but at the same time, simply and logically presented such that someone with a non-scientific background (me!) found it easy enough to follow along and take notes for future reference.

The coaching provided by Jordan and Tom was simple, quick and easy to follow. As with shombre, I’m happy that no dramatic fixes were required, but all the little tweaks (set up, grip, stance width etc) were precisely what I’d hoped for in having experienced coaches watching my lifting.

A massive thank you to Tom and Jordan for making the trip to Australia. I'm glad I attended and will proceed with my lifting with more confidence.

If you get a chance to work with either Tom or Jordan, take it.

+1

I attended the February 18 Sydney Sunday workshop and was impressed by the level of analysis and coaching competence.
    With 2 or 3 subtle cues and seemingly minor individual adjustments my three lifts were dramatically improved.
    As a perpetual novice my initial interest was in ensuring my lifts were safe and stable, and this was more than achieved.

Some insights for those considering a seminar
    1. As a long time observer of trainers/coaches in various gyms in Sydney the superior expertise was clear and obvious.
    2. High quality coaches were supplemented by high quality participants. The group on the day was a mix of rationally minded recreational and aspiring competitors andeven some other trainers. All of whom had great scientific, personal and professional insights they were able to share over the day. A great unexpected bonus.

Also Jordan's got a pretty good chance of dominating the open mic exercise physiology standup comedy scene, where ever he decides to start it. Laughter being great medicine, just normally not to be applied when you're pressing.

thanks Tom and Jordan, and other participants. A highly beneficial experience. Please come back to Sydney.