starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: retired LACROSSE Player gets STRONG(er)

Default retired LACROSSE Player gets STRONG(er)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    After ending my professional lacrosse career and taking 2 years off of training, I decided to get back in the gym. My motivation lead me to Rip and PPST3. I added 8-10 pounds of BW and increased my squat, dead, press, bench, clean, and chins. That progress was documented HERE.

Now that I have come close to exhausting LP, I have transitioned to the 4 day Texas Method #3 (Volume/intensity) as described on page 152 on PPST3. I live in Southern California, work 40-60 hours a week in an office, and my current numbers look like this:

Body Composition
    Age = 29
    Height = 6'0"
    BW = 186

Lifts
    Squat = 295 x 5RM
    Bench = 180 x 5RM
    Press = 135 x 5RM
    Dead = 295 x 5RM
    Hang Clean = 155 x 5 x 5

Current [honest] Goals
    Squat 315 x 5 x 5
    Bench 185 x 8 x 3
    Deadlift 365 x 5RM
    Add 1 inch to arms and add mass to shoulders

Please comment with your feedback, because I am writing this to learn and be held accountable.

Default Week 1 Day 1 (Squat VD/ Hang Clean)

Lifts
    Squat: 265 x 5 x 3 (Cut the volume from 5x5 since I took 11 days off)
    Hang Clean: 155 x 3 x 5

Recovery and Body Composition
    BW: 188
    Sleep: 7.0 hours.

Default Week 1 Day 2 (Press ID, Bench VD)

Lifts
    Press: 135 x 3 x 1 (Cut the volume since I took 11 days off)
    Bench: 145 x 8,8,6

BW: 187
    Sleep: 8.0 hours
    5g Creatine before workout

I'll be following along as I'm always interested in lifting paired with athletics or generally active people. Are you still playing lax at all? I grew up playing in connecticut.

Welcome. I'm a laxer too (d3 in college ).
    I really wish i knew all of this stuff back when i was playing competitively!

Quote Originally Posted by Sick nimpson View Post
    Welcome. I'm a laxer too (d3 in college ).
    I really wish i knew all of this stuff back when i was playing competitively!
    Thanks for the support Sick Nimpson. I was a DIII guy too.

Quote Originally Posted by foothills_g View Post
    I'll be following along as I'm always interested in lifting paired with athletics or generally active people. Are you still playing lax at all? I grew up playing in connecticut.
    I still play men's league and coach a bit.

Default Week 1 Day 3 (Squat ID, Deads)

Lifts
    Squat: 275 x 3RM (sever shoulder pain is causing me to re-evaluate bar position. I will need to adjust to a slightly higher bar)
    Dead: 305 x 4RM
    Pendlay Row: 135 x 10 x 3

BW: 187
    Sleep: 7 hours night before
    Other: 5g creatine + 6 uni-liver tabs before workout, 6 uni-liver tabs during workout

**Current Goals**
    Squat 315 x 5 x 5
    Deadlift 365 x 5RM
    Bench 185 x 8 x 3
    Add 1 inch to arms and add mass to shoulders
    Last edited by optomisticmind; 02-23-2016 at 11:40 AM.

just looked through your old log -- yikes, you were getting yelled at for not keeping the log properly?!

feedback: I don't necessarily know what I'm talking about, but there's a small chance you're lifting your chest rather than committing to hip drive in squats (although the video was from july, obviously). This is what Andy has to say about that: "See how you stop driving with the hips, jack your head up, and start trying to raise the chest at a nearly identical point each rep? It's no coincidence that you start cratering at that same point."

you will receive the same advice here about increasing BW. you will also hear that your goals are too modest, especially the squat. the people that will say this are almost certainly correct and know much more than I do, although I don't always agree (is that hubris?). personally I would love to have a 315# squat but not if it means I can't do anything else besides prepare for and focus on squatting, so I'm hoping to get there someday but not anytime soon. when I was benching I would approach a 225x5x3 on the bench with more confidence than almost the same weight on squats -- just genetics I guess.

all the best. what do uni-liver tablets do for you? they look interesting.
    Last edited by foothills_g; 02-23-2016 at 01:03 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by foothills_g View Post
    just looked through your old log -- yikes, you were getting yelled at for not keeping the log properly?!

feedback: I don't necessarily know what I'm talking about, but there's a small chance you're lifting your chest rather than committing to hip drive in squats (although the video was from july, obviously). This is what Andy has to say about that: "See how you stop driving with the hips, jack your head up, and start trying to raise the chest at a nearly identical point each rep? It's no coincidence that you start cratering at that same point."

you will receive the same advice here about increasing BW. you will also hear that your goals are too modest, especially the squat. the people that will say this are almost certainly correct and know much more than I do, although I don't always agree (is that hubris?). personally I would love to have a 315# squat but not if it means I can't do anything else besides prepare for and focus on squatting, so I'm hoping to get there someday but not anytime soon. when I was benching I would approach a 225x5x3 on the bench with more confidence than almost the same weight on squats -- just genetics I guess.

all the best. what do uni-liver tablets do for you? they look interesting.
    Thanks for the feedback. I would like to increase BW, but I am not trying to hit a specific weight, so I kept it out of the goals section. Maybe I should start documenting macros on here. I have kept the other goals at a level that I expect to achieve in the next few weeks or months. This was always my approach with lacrosse and it worked well.

The uni-liver tabs are just an easy way to get a few grams of protein in (each tab = 1.5 grams). They also have aminos, etc. that I am not an expert on, but I took Rip's advice and just keep them handy for when I want to supplement.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast