starting strength gym

Thread: Could Squat bar placement have caused nerve impingment?

Default Could Squat bar placement have caused nerve impingment?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I noticed a huge sudden drop in strength in my press/bench 2 weeks ago on my left side. I went to see a doctor after it didn't improve. He told me he thinks I have supra scapular nerve palsy, which may be due to viral infection or cyst. He examined me and noticed an abrasion I had from bar placement on my back. When I was leaving I asked him if it may be due to the placement of the bar during squats since that area is tender, he said he has never heard of something like that but said it may have compressed the nerve and that it will get better on it's own if that is the case. Has anyone heard of something similar happening or if it's possible?

Do you have any pain/tingling/numbness through your left arm and into your hand? If so do you notice it more when under the bar or after a set of squats?
    “The woman who does not require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet.”
    ― Mohadesa Najumi

Quote Originally Posted by Kelli Nielson View Post
    Do you have any pain/tingling/numbness through your left arm and into your hand? If so do you notice it more when under the bar or after a set of squats?
    Nope, nothing like that, I wouldn't have even noticed it if it wasn't for my strength numbers going down a lot.

I have a tender spot near my shoulder where the bar rests though.

Post a video to make sure your bar position isn't off.
    “The woman who does not require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet.”
    ― Mohadesa Najumi

For a supra scapular nerve entrapment (palsy is a pretty advanced diagnosis for your Dr to just throw around), you would see weakness in the supraspinatus and infraspinatus affecting abduction and external rotation strength respectively as well as scapular stability. Do you see weakness in either of these motions?

As time goes, you would see atrophy in these two rotator cuff muscles (if it were a supra scapular nerve issue). Do you notice any atrophy?

When you say a "huge sudden drop in strength", is this only in flat bench or other pressing movements (including overhead)? Are you only using a barbell, or have you used DBs to quantify the asymmetry in strength from Left to Right?

How do you perceive the weakness -- can you differentiate it from your triceps or pec?

Are you seeing any increase in scapular winging on the left more than the right?