starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R3bauer's starting from scratch

Default R3bauer's starting from scratch

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Former strongman competitor, father of 3, married.
    Day 1 of SS
    March 21, 2016

Squat
    Warm up
    45󫶘
    Work
    45󬊃

Press
    Warm up
    45󫶘
    Work
    45󬊃

Deadlift
    95󬊁

Welcome to the farm. If you are a strongman competitor why start so low? What is your age, height, and weight?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome to the farm. If you are a strongman competitor why start so low? What is your age, height, and weight?
    I stopped competing years ago. I'm 38, 6'2" and 321 lbs. I competed at 232. Over the years I stopped training due to having reconstruction operation on my right knee. I was afraid to do anything but machines. I missed the barbell stuff however and so I found the SS program. All my strength from my strongman days has disappeared. I look forward to making gains and getting back to my old ways.
    Last edited by R3bauer; 03-22-2016 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Forgot something

If you are trying to lose weight while regaining strength check out the nutrition section on the forum.

The VA has me on a hardcore diet gluten-free, dairy free, and sugar free. I eat 9 cups of fruits and veggies every morning in a smoothie made of 3 cups kale, 3 cups spinach, 1 cup yellow fruit, I cup red fruit, I cup of dark fruit, 1 cup of and milk along with 6-9oz. of protein every meal. A lot of the meds I was on had weight gain as a side effect so I am fighting that along with getting older.

One of my younger brothers had about the same dimensions as you have but by the time he was 40 or 41 his diabetes was so bad that after an otherwise minor injury he was in intensive care for nearly a month. He had let himself go for so long that most of the last 20 years of his life he was in and out of the hospital and finally died at the age of 60. It is good that you are starting to get your life under control. Your family will be thankful for your efforts.

Squat
    Warm up
    45x5
    45x5
    50x5
    50x3
    55x2
    55x1
    Work
    55x5x3
    Bench press
    warm up
    45x3
    45x3
    45x3
    45x3
    45x3
    Work
    45x5x3
    Deadlift
    warm up
    45x5
    45x5
    60x5
    75x3
    90x1
    Work
    105x5x1

Didnt want to train today, effect of the weather and my mental illness. However I went and followed through on the program. Feel good after doing it. Been listening to the SS podcast and really working on form over anything. Something Rip said in a video I seen really helps me with my squats, nipple to the floor and lift your ass. I am getting more comfortable under the bar with squats.

Welcome to the forums. It is highly recommended starting out to work with a SS coach if possible, but video form checks as a minimum early on while you are constructing your technique. SS and all of the sub forums here are an absolute goldmine of knowledge and experience and I recommend taking advantage of it. Properly programmed and executed barbell training does wonders for one's overall mental and physical health. Take it nice and slow and I look forward to seeing some awesome gains in this log!

Squat
    Warm up
    45x5
    45x5
    45x5
    50x5
    55x3
    60x2
    65x1
    Work
    65x5x3
    Press
    Warm up
    45x3
    45x3
    45x3
    45x3
    Work
    45x5x3

No deadlift today took the day off from them after deadlifting twice this week. Was that the right thing to do? Afte rmy first week following the program I feel good about it, its to early to judge the gains but it seems like it should work.

starting strength coach development program
    Find a coach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast