starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ScottinPA trying to get it done

Default ScottinPA trying to get it done

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I was reading some of the other training logs and decided it may be a good thing for me to start doing.
    Background – just for reference
    Lifted when I was in the Army and some in college then got sidetracked. Always did something, mostly pushups, situps, and run a couple of miles.
    Feb 2011 I ballooned up to 235lbs and decided that was enough. Watched calories and exercised to get down to 185 by August. Did a sprint tri.

Missed 2012 due to project at work and most of 2013 with medical issues. Weight at end of 2013 was 140.

In Dec 2013 I was given the OK to start exercising. Did BW stuff and ride bike on trainer then added running. Did sprint tri in August.

2015 – r/b/s from January to June then found Stronglifts and did that with limited r/b/s thru September.

2016 – Jan 4th started SL5x5 but had found SS, ordered the books, and started following the website for pointers. Since I live in the middle of nowhere, there aren’t any SS coaches local and the Y is a joke for help. February I spoke to a coach in SW PA and picked up some pointers. Dropped the running and biking, added 500 cals and backed sets off to 5x3. Haven’t attempted PC’s since I can’t get the bar racked. Need to stretch I guess or I just have weird geometry or both. I did work with a 70yr old SS follower in Jan who told me my form was good on squats but I haven’t seen him in weeks.

Age – 47
    Height – 5’6”
    Weight – 175ish
    Cals – 2500-3000 225p/175c/100f – log this on Lose-it app but don’t typically measure much.
    Sleep – 7-8 hrs typically though lately on lift nights I can’t sleep well and lose about 1-2hrs.
    Doing LP with a few missed reps but got them the next time except for squats. Got to 285 and deloaded to 255 and am working back up now. Alternating assisted pullups with actual BW chins

January starting weights
    Squat – 155lbs
    BP – 145lbs
    Press – 90lbs
    DL – 215lbs
    BB Rows – 100 lbs
    BW chins
    BW dips
    LTE – 60lbs
    BB curls – 60lbs

March 14th
    Squat – 260 5x3
    BP – 215 5x3
    Row – 165 5x3
    Dips – BW+45 8x3
    LTE – 92 8x3

March 16th
    Squat – 265 5x3
    Press – 127.5 5x3
    DL – 335 5x1
    Chins – BW 8/6/6
    BB curls – 72 8/8/7
    March 18th

Squat – 270 5x3
    BP – 220 5x3
    Row – 170 5x3
    Dips – BW+47.5 8X3
    LTE – 94 8x3
    March 21st

Squat – 275 5x3 - Belt broke during first work set. It was 25 yrs old so it was time I guess.
    Press – 130 5x3
    DL – 345 0x2 – no belt, couldn’t get it off the ground
    Assisted Pullups – 70lbs 10x3
    BB curls – 72 8x3

I think the missed DL is because of the belt, being paranoid about injury, and the guy doing his Rocky Balboa impression on the speedbag non-stop. Very distracting.

Anyway – open to comments/suggestions and hope to have video for critique soon.

I never use a belt belt for Deadlifts. Welcome Aboard.

Welcome aboard. I'm living outside of Pittsburgh - it's nice to see someone else from PA on the board. Feel free to check out my log anytime - I'm listed in General Training as well. I'm in the same boat as Meshuggah - I don't use a belt for deads. I tried it once, and it felt absolutely awful (while giving me some major heartburn/reflux). Others, though, swear by it.

I wouldn't drop your increases from 10 to 5 lbs on the DL just yet, but were there any other reasons that may have aided in the failed set? How was your diet, sleep, general stress from life/work, etc.?

Good luck and feel free to pose questions any time.

I'm marking the DL miss to distractions. Felt good otherwise. Will hit it again Friday but it'll be at a strange gym since we're traveling.

March 23rd

Squat - 280 5/5/3.5 - waffled
    Bench - 225 5x3
    Rows - 175 5x3
    Dips - BW+50 5x3
    LTE - didn't do'em

I'm not sure what to do with the squats. I reset a few weeks ago when I failed at 285. Monday 275 felt OK even without the belt. Today was just flat. I'll power thru it Friday and keep on LPing. Hopefully my new belt will be here tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottinPA View Post
    March 23rd

Squat - 280 5/5/3.5 - waffled
    Bench - 225 5x3
    Rows - 175 5x3
    Dips - BW+50 5x3
    LTE - didn't do'em

I'm not sure what to do with the squats. I reset a few weeks ago when I failed at 285. Monday 275 felt OK even without the belt. Today was just flat. I'll power thru it Friday and keep on LPing. Hopefully my new belt will be here tomorrow.
    If you think this was an off day...285 shouldn't be the end of the world. However, you may want to move all the lifts up except for squats and retry them again at 280...it's up to you. On the fourth rep, did you bomb out and have to drop the weight, or did you get about halfway up and stall out?

March 25
    Squats - 280 5x3
    Press - 132.5 5x3
    Dead - 345 couldn't lock out #5
    Chins - 9/6/6
    BB curl - 8/8/7

Squat felt pretty good. Belt helped but new one is pretty thick n wide (4"). Got a pair of Powerlift2's which felt good.
    DL came off ground tuff on first one but rest where better. Couldn't lock out number 5 so I'll do it again Wednesday.

March 30
    Squat 285 5x3
    Bench - 230 5x3
    BB row - 185 5x3
    Dips - BW +52.5 7/6/6
    LTE - 95 8x3

Last rep on bench was tough. Going to 2.5lb increases on this starting next workout. Squats felt good, can feel it today. Shoes seem to really make a difference and probably why I'm sore.

Beast - sorry I didn't answer your last question - came out of the bottom, started back up but stalled and got waffled.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottinPA View Post
    March 30
    Squat 285 5x3
    Bench - 230 5x3
    BB row - 185 5x3
    Dips - BW +52.5 7/6/6
    LTE - 95 8x3

Last rep on bench was tough. Going to 2.5lb increases on this starting next workout. Squats felt good, can feel it today. Shoes seem to really make a difference and probably why I'm sore.

Beast - sorry I didn't answer your last question - came out of the bottom, started back up but stalled and got waffled.
    Just curious, but how high is the heel on your new shoes? I was wearing Do-Wins with a 0.5" heel, but I stopped because it felt as though my knees were being shoved too far forward during squats. Impressive work on the dips...

starting strength coach development program
    I think the heel is around 1/2". I'll measure and confirm. I was surprised how much more solid they felt over the Chuck Taylors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast