starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jesse Starts Starting Strength...Again (For the First Time in a Long Time)

Default Jesse Starts Starting Strength...Again (For the First Time in a Long Time)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I wrote a whole thing that the forum decided to dump because I wasn't logged in (even though I was logged in), and I ain't re-writing it. Suffice to say I've been a forum member for 3 years and haven't posted, and thought a training log seemed like an obvious introduction. I'm starting again after a couple of long layoffs due to surgeries, job changes, children, and plenty of other reasonable but irrelevant excuses. All weights in pounds.

Vitals
    Male, 35, 5'7", 312

4/6/2016
    Squat
    Warm-up: 45*, 95, 145, 185
    Work: 220

Press
    Warm-up: 45*, 65, 85
    Work: 95

Deadlift
    Warm-up: 65, 115, 165, 205
    Work: 240

I tend to do fewer warm-up sets, but work through them quickly. I began my original progression doing the prescribed warm-up sets but found that I ended up being pretty worn out by the time the work sets came around. After testing with fewer sets I found that I did better on the work sets.

*Empty bar
    Last edited by Jesse Carrigan; 04-07-2016 at 07:06 PM.

Welcome. You are 5'7" and weigh 312? I'm just trying to clarify what I read. It is good that you are here. What are you doing for nutrition?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome. You are 5'7" and weigh 312? I'm just trying to clarify what I read. It is good that you are here. What are you doing for nutrition?
    Correct (unfortunately). This time around, my wife and I (who are training together) started about a month ago working to improve our diet even before we got back to lifting. We're eating what we are referring to as "half-ass Paleo" - we drink milk, eat some rice and other grains in limited amounts, and drink beer (among other violations of the sacred laws).

The good news is that I've already lost some weight and inches in a few weeks just doing that. I also have a fair amount of lean mass based on a variety of body comp tests (somewhere in the 175# range, give or take a few percentage points). For being this big, I'm surprisingly healthy and thankful for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcarrigan View Post
    Correct (unfortunately). This time around, my wife and I (who are training together) started about a month ago working to improve our diet even before we got back to lifting. We're eating what we are referring to as "half-ass Paleo" - we drink milk, eat some rice and other grains in limited amounts, and drink beer (among other violations of the sacred laws).
    I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that beer is Biblical. Anything that's been around for that long can't be all bad.

Look forward to following your log.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungOpa View Post
    I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that beer is Biblical. Anything that's been around for that long can't be all bad.
    I'm on your side here for sure. I meant violating the sacred laws of Paleo.

Do you confer with a certified SS coach?

I meant violating the sacred laws of Paleo.
    Those are meant to be broken. When you lift, you've earned your carbs, liquid and otherwise. Since you've been here for a while we probably can't tell you much about nutrition, programming etc. I suppose, but we'll certainly cheer you on!

Have you added any cardio yet? HIIT? If you can get some in every day it's a great way to accelerate weight loss. You've read Jordans F's TBAB article, right?

Quote Originally Posted by YoungOpa View Post
    and don't forget sweet baby Jesus himself brought the wine to the wedding; you can't get a higher affirmation than that!

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Do you confer with a certified SS coach?
    I haven't but I'd like to. I live in Tacoma, about 35 miles south of Seattle, so there are a few SSCs not too far away. I've signed up for the Gig Harbor seminar in July - that's only a few miles drive for me, and I'm interested in eventually taking the cert myself.

Default Jesse Starts Starting Strength...Again (For the First Time in a Long Time)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    Those are meant to be broken. When you lift, you've earned your carbs, liquid and otherwise. Since you've been here for a while we probably can't tell you much about nutrition, programming etc. I suppose, but we'll certainly cheer you on!

Have you added any cardio yet? HIIT? If you can get some in every day it's a great way to accelerate weight loss. You've read Jordans F's TBAB article, right?
    I appreciate the encouragement. I do want to be quite a bit more mindful of my eating, but that's going much better this time as well.

I did read Jordan's blog and found it enlightening. On my first time through the LP I didn't really do much of anything with my diet (other than increase protein intake) and had OK, but not great, fat loss. After reading the article and weighing my food for a bit, I found that I was eating less protein than I needed, and overdoing it on fat, though not as badly as I feared. I'm adjusting accordingly.
    Last edited by Jesse Carrigan; 04-08-2016 at 08:59 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast