starting strength gym

Thread: Recurring lat pain possibly teres major

Default Recurring lat pain possibly teres major

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Okay so I have been running my second attempt at starting strength for the past 3.5 months and have seen great progress. My first attempt at doing the program was last year. My numbers were pretty weak because my diet was not in check. The first time I experienced the issue was when I was doing deadlifts (probably about 225 at the time) I felt a sharp pain in my upper lat almost behind and slightly below the armpit. This pain lasted for weeks and I was barely able to squat 135 without intense pain. I went to a chiro a few times but it felt like bullshit. He couldn't even identify the root of the problem and on top of that he told me to stop deadlifting permanently.

Fast forward to the present and I am running the program again with a good degree of success. My squat is up to 280 and my deadlift is at 300. The problem is, this Monday I was hanging out in my garage between sets on the squat and I kinda started dancing. I was just fucking around moving my body in a twisting motion and out of nowhere that same pain came back. I looked up a muscular anatomy diagram and I believe that the pain is coming from either the teres major or the upper latissimus dorsi. I immediately knew the nature of this pain due to past experience so I took it easy for the rest of the work out. I dropped my rows down to 135 and did high reps (I was thinking in terms of Bill Star's rehabilitation strategy) and I noticed that the pain went away for about 5 minutes only to return soon after. The next morning I woke up and could barely get out of bed. The pain was incredibly intense and I was worried I wouldn't be able to drive to work.

Can anyone give me a clear diagnosis of what this may be? I have an appointment with the doctor set up but it isn't for a couple weeks. I was reading online and I saw an article about something called a side strain which seems like it could be a possibility.

Last time this happened I had to stop lifting for 3 weeks and I can't even imagine losing all that progress.

Should I continue to lift light and do some high rep deadlifts?

Thanks for your help.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience? It's as if I tweaked my upper lat and it gets irritated by twisting. When it's at it's worst it hurts to cough and take deep breathes. It has had gotten significantly better since my original post but I would still like to know more about the issue considering I've experienced it numerous times.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What role are rows playing in your Novice LP?

If there's no bruising or swelling, it's not a muscle belly tear which is what Star's rehab method is for. You tweaked a muscle, which can hurt pretty badly as you've experienced. As Bill alluded above, you may want to consider some sort of rows to strengthen up that area. Lifting is going to be guided by pain and there may be some trial and error involved in that so don't get discouraged if it happens again.

Sounds like a lat. Starr protocol should work but I'd get some real work done. Go see a legit massage therapist (hard to find i know) and get it worked on. This should hurt like shit if he/she is doing his/her job correctly. If it doesn't don't pay the bill.