starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MinusHD's Novice Progression Log

Default MinusHD's Novice Progression Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, Starting Strength Forum! I'm new to Starting Strength and new to lifting. I've come from the other side of the "fitness goals" spectrum, having been told by my doctor to lose weight or get on the meds to control all the terrible health metrics. I lost a fair amount of weight by counting calories (and eating better foods in general), walking, jogging and using a "60-day" workout DVD just to be active. What lead me to SS was getting fed up with having to eat like a bird and attempting to maintain some arbitrary "goal weight". The weight ultimately started fluctuating quite a bit. Plus, my right knee kept swelling after jogging, so my doctor and my chiropractor told me I should just stop doing it.

After searching for other options for getting/staying fit I came across Rip's "The Case for Starting Strength" lecture. I knew I had found something I wanted to try to improve my own strength and fitness and gobbled up as much info as I could about SS on the web. I found a copy of "The Book" (1st edition) and read it as quickly as I could. Then a friend bought me a copy of the 3rd edition and the DVD. Then I found a local gym with the proper equipment and couldn’t wait to get started in the gym and to introduce myself on the forum.

Last night began the 3rd week of my novice progression. Here's how things have progressed through my first 7 workouts:

Height: 5’8’

Date range: 04/04/2016 >>>> 04/18/2016

Weight: 170 >>>> 174
    Squat: 85 >>>> 140 - 5x3
    Press: 65 >>>> 80 - 5x3
    Bench: 75 >>>> 100 - 5x3
    Deadlift: 155 >>>>210 - 5x1

I know it’s not much time under the bar and I’m still pretty weak, but I do see the progress. I’m sure my form sucks because I haven’t had any real coaching yet. I haven’t worked on the Power Clean, except a few attempts to get comfortable with the jumping position to rack part… still a little confusing to put the video and text into action, but it’s only about a 150 mile drive for me to get to WFAC, so I may see if I can book a coaching session with Nick in the next month or so.

I’ve already gotten a lot of benefit from many of the posts here on the forum and I hope one day I’ll have something worthwhile to contribute. Until then, thanks for all the insight!
    Last edited by MinusHD; 04-19-2016 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Corrections

Welcome. You will gain even more weight but it will be mostly muscle if you keep to a proper diet with lots of protein and milk and follow the LP. You may wish to post videos from time to time and if you have access to a certified SS coach you will be greatly rewarded.

Welcome to the forum. Ain't cheap but there is a seminar at WFAC in June that covers everything.

June 10-12 : Wichita Falls, TX | The Aasgaard Company

Quote Originally Posted by waistline warrior View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Ain't cheap but there is a seminar at WFAC in June that covers everything.
    Thanks, carson and waistline warrior! The seminar isn't something I'll be able to swing this time... but it would be awesome if I could.
    Last edited by MinusHD; 04-19-2016 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Corrections

Default MinusHD

I wanted to go ahead and start adding my weekly logs, so here's week 1:

04-04-2016
    Body Weight: 170
    Squat: 85 5x3
    Press: 65 5x3
    Bench: --
    Deadlift: 155 5x1

04-06-2016
    Body Weight: 171
    Squat: 95 5x3
    Press: --
    Bench: 75 5x3
    Deadlift: 165 5x1

04-08-2016
    Body Weight: 170
    Squat 85: 105 5x3
    Press: 70 5x3
    Deadlift: 175 5x1

Week 2:

04-11-2016
    Body Weight: 172
    Squat: 115 5x3
    Bench: 85 5x3
    Deadlift: 185 5x1

04-13-2016
    Body Weight: 172
    Squat: 125 5x3
    Press: 75 5x3
    Deadlift: 195 5x1

04-15-2016
    Body Weight: 174
    Squat 85: 135 5x3
    Bench: 100 5x3
    Deadlift: 205 5x1

Welcome to the forums. Your starting stats & story are similar to mine. I'll be watching and cheering you on. Understand you can't swing a seminar right now (neither can I due to time constraints), but I would encourage you to post some form checks. now is the right time to get some of the basics down. At a minimum squat depth & minimizing back rounding on DL. The other stuff is all important, but these 2 things will either be a blessing or a curse if you don't make sure you are doing right. Nothing worse than getting to a 225 squat and realizing you've been high and have to start over....ditto on a 275 deadlift and realizing you look like a scared cat and have to reset to 185 or something. Good luck!

Week 3:

04-18-2016
    Body Weight: 174
    Squat: 140 5x3
    Press: 80 5x3
    Deadlift: 210 5x1

04-20-2016
    Body Weight: 176
    Squat: 145 5x3
    Bench: 105 5x3
    Deadlift: 215 5x1

Had to miss Friday due to other commitments. I was going to make it up Saturday, but that got derailed by one of the boys getting an ER visit to evaluate a soccer injury. I decided to go Sunday and proceed with the progression (didn't repeat Wednesday's workout).

04-24-2016
    Body Weight: 176
    Squat : 150 5x3
    Press: 85 5x3
    Deadlift: 220 5x1

On Sunday I was checking my starting form from the side via a mirror before each DL workset rep, trying to stay really tight and squeeze it off the ground. The weight is getting pretty heavy at this point. My lower back felt pretty sore last night - something I haven't felt yet. It's quite a bit better today, but still feeling it. I probably still need to get my chest up more but my lumber isn't bowing up at the start. Unfortunately I didn't video any of it.

I'll be shifting Week 4 workouts to Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, if possible and will start incorporating the Power Clean on Tuesday at a pretty low weight and see how things feel.

You may wish to post some videos.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    You may wish to post some videos.

Carson,

I posted some videos from last Wednesday's workout, and got some good feedback I'm trying to incorporate (however, the video angles are't the best).

(Form) Check, Please.

I'll see about getting some more sets captured on video for further analysis. In the meantime, if you notice anything else that someone hasn't mentioned please share it in that form check thread.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast