starting strength gym

Thread: Please help this 240lbs guy with his nutrition and planning

Default Please help this 240lbs guy with his nutrition and planning

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

Some people on the other sub referred me to you to get some help with my nutrition. I hope you can advice me, and checking if I'm taking the right path or not. I eat around 3,000 calories but according to some that might be too high for me.

I've also been keeping a food journal for 6 months now. This is the avg nutritional breakdown of the last 10 weeks:
    carbs = 259 gr
    fat = 169 gr
    protein = 153 gr
    On the basis of your "To be A Beast"-article I'd roughly have to halve my fat intake and add 50 gr to my protein intake, correct?
    What would you recommend when it comes to cals, is 3000kcal too high for me?

At the moment I'm just doing SS twice a week (just got diagnosed with low T, plus worsening sleep apnea) and I'm living a very sedentary lifestyle, would that affect your recommendation?

The general advice on the forum seems to be to maintain weight, get stronger, and then lose it. Would you agree with such an approach in my case or would you emphasize weight loss?

Stats:
    -24yo Male
    -110 kg / 240lbs
    -183cm / 6ft
    -31% bf (according to the navy taper test)
    -a big 117cm gut / 46inch

Medical:
    -low t
    -obesity related sleep apnea (doc says he expects my apnea to disappear If i get to 100kg)
    -depression

Lifts (x5):
    Squat - 85 kg
    DeadL - 100 kg
    BenchP- 45 kg
    Press - 30 kg

On the basis of your "To be A Beast"-article I'd roughly have to halve my fat intake and add 50 gr to my protein intake, correct?
    Yes.

At the moment I'm just doing SS twice a week (just got diagnosed with low T, plus worsening sleep apnea) and I'm living a very sedentary lifestyle, would that affect your recommendation?
    My recommendation would then include treating the Low T and the sleep apnea, and then doing SS 3x/wk.

FWIW, I have dealt with depression most of my life, and IME training and good diet are two of the best mood enhancers I know of. Better than any medication I ever tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    [...]
    Update:

Just came back from the meeting with the endo. She said all my other hormones (LH/FSH etc) were fine and that the low total T is most certainly lifestyle-related (read: overweight). So she simply recommended me to lose weight/fat. My ENT-doc told me my sleep apnea is also weight related and he expects it to be fixed if I lose 5-10kg. I do have a MAD-device to at least decrease the symptoms and improve sleep.

I'm a bit in dubio. Should I maintain the weight and get stronger by doing the program, and then lose the weight later? Or should I try to lose the weight *while* doing SS? What would you recommend as a MD? Also would be your suggestion regarding cal. intake? (your To Be A Beast-article puts me around 3,000 cals for maintenance but others say this might be too high for me)

Thanks for taking your time for this, I really appreciate the help.

You should lose a little bit of weight very slowly each week, train hard, and your cals would probably in the 2800-3000 range to start.

Slow but steady weight loss so that I can still recover from linear progression. I understand.

If we had to put a number on it, what kind of weekly weight loss should I be aiming for ? Half a pound / 0,25kg? Or even less?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
    FWIW, I have dealt with depression most of my life, and IME training and good diet are two of the best mood enhancers I know of. Better than any medication I ever tried.
    I have found that a 400 pound squat and 500 pound deadlift does wonders for mood and overall mental health.

Of course, it is not the the actual numbers that do it, but the process of getting there, ie: nutrition and diet, sleep, and the discipline it all requires.

My guess is you will drop 25-40 pounds and then slowly gain it back, but look and feel tremendously different 4-5 years down the line. The T will rise and the apnea will go away as you do so.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by 2) The Answer is Texas View Post
    Slow but steady weight loss so that I can still recover from linear progression. I understand.

If we had to put a number on it, what kind of weekly weight loss should I be aiming for ? Half a pound / 0,25kg? Or even less?
    0.5-1lb, no more.