starting strength gym

Thread: Calorie intake while injured

Default Calorie intake while injured

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan,

I searched the forums for this topic but couldn't find anything concrete. I'm currently dealing with some annual, sometimes bi-annual, knee pain in my right knee (I'm pretty sure it's patellar tendonitis but I haven't confirmed with a doc). As a result I'm not able to squat as much weight as I was prior to being hurt, so obviously I'm not involved in as much activity.

Should I back down my intake a bit to avoid unnecessary body fat gain while I'm recovering? I also train BJJ twice a week but since the pain just started I don't know what kind of affect it will have on that.

For reference, I was doing the SS LP 3x a week and had recently worked up to these numbers with some stalls:

Squat: 275x5
    Bench: 205x3x5
    OHP: 125x3x3
    Deadlift: 265x5
    Powerclean: 142.5x5x3

My intake for the last few weeks has been ~3060 calories, 80f, 325c, 260p.

I'm 30 y/o, 5'10", and bounce between 201 and 205lbs. Est. body fat is 23%.

If your upper body stuff and deadlifts are still going up AND you're squatting 1x/wk, I think the intake should remain about the same (probably -10g pro and -5g fat just to see how that goes) for the time being. I would avoid BJJ and power cleans to heal that knee up also.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    If your upper body stuff and deadlifts are still going up AND you're squatting 1x/wk, I think the intake should remain about the same (probably -10g pro and -5g fat just to see how that goes) for the time being. I would avoid BJJ and power cleans to heal that knee up also.
    Thanks for the response! If my upper body lifts and/or deadlifts aren't moving up, should I back it down even more? That deadlift is after a recent reset from stalling to get 300 (as in, the weight wouldn't move off the floor).

Nah, I would switch your programming so they do move up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Nah, I would switch your programming so they do move up.
    Noted. I'd been feeling like I might need to do that anyway.

Also, it turns out I was logging my cereal wrong and as a result, was only getting 264g of carbs a day and thus ~2700 calories. That could explain why I was beginning to stall so much, no?

starting strength coach development program
    For a person on LP, whom weight gain (even if slow in the case of a non underweight adult like yourself) is a very important to facilitating progress, then sure, a undershooting by 300 cals in addition to an existing injury may result in a stall