starting strength gym

Thread: Hamstring tendon injury?

Default Hamstring tendon injury?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    29 year old male. Beginner with a few months of training.

Deadlifting 300lb for 5, locking out 5th rep everything seemed to be good. Left leg gave the slightest wobble then loud audible (I think) snap and unusual sensation in the region of the lower hamstrings on the left leg.

No video unfortunately, wondering if weak glute form/strength is at fault.

Four days later, very mild dull ache in the back of the left leg particularly after sitting. Can walk fine but catches every few steps. Pain mainly noticeable when straightening the left leg (or raising the left leg straight in front of me) in the posterior/back of the knee on the medial or to the right. Can no longer bend down to touch toes due to this.

I searched and found the Starr recovery protocol. I'm just not sure if it is appropriate as dead-lifts with an empty bar do not provoke any discomfort. Does this sound like tendon? What do?

Would really appreciate the help. Hope this post isn't breaking etiquette.

Thanks!

Default Hamstring tendon injury?

Starr protocol is for muscle belly tears, not tendon injuries.

Thanks.

This has progressed to stiffness and a little bit of instability in the knee but otherwise seems to be starting to improve. I'm still not sure what type of tissue or structure has been affected or how to respond to it. Guess it isn't anything much.

Is there bruising or swelling (aka signs of bleeding) anywhere? If I understand correctly, it is possible for a complete tear to not be painful. So all I am suggesting is, that it could be serious, aka, you might want to see a doctor if you are able to.

i.e. What you described is like an ACL tear, a pop kind of thing with a sharp pain, but then it goes away and then you just have stiffness.

https://sciencelife.uchospitals.edu/...-acl-injuries/

That said, something similar happened to me while squatting, with very similar during and after symptoms, and my doctor was like 'meh' and didn't find anything wrong. (Although I have had tendonitis like issues for the past few months that have followed, minor soreness while squatting)
    Last edited by Jacob R; 05-03-2016 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob R View Post
    Is there bruising or swelling (aka signs of bleeding) anywhere? If I understand correctly, it is possible for a complete tear to not be painful. So all I am suggesting is, that it could be serious, aka, you might want to see a doctor if you are able to.
    Thank you! appreciate hearing about your experience. I'll get it checked out if I can.

That's the thing, no sign of anything visually and the relative lack of pain. From sensation at the time and following I wouldn't have thought ACL but the experience seems similar. Main persistent symptom now is knee stiffness and the big loss of range of motion/soreness/tendonitisy tingling around the insertions of semitendinosis/semimembranosus (don't know enough to distinguish).
    Last edited by Phreatic; 05-04-2016 at 09:20 AM.