starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Wisdom Teeth Removal

Default Pre-Wisdom Teeth Removal

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan,

My wife took our son to see the oral surgeon for the consultation before he has all 4 of his wisdom teeth removed. The oral surgeon told my wife that our son needs to cut out all protein powder 1 week before the procedure. Our son will be under general anesthesia. I understand that he cannot eat or drink before the surgery but I thought that no protein powder 1 week before the surgery is odd. Protein powder is the only supplement that he uses. I did search Google and didn't find any answers.

Do you know any reason for the elimination of the protein powder 1 week before the surgery?

My son's stats:
    17yr old 240lb
    His current macros are 270/490/120 using My Fitness Pal. Following the muscle gain recommendations from the "To Be a Beast" article. He would like to put on about 20lbs. for the upcoming football season.

Thank you.

Do you know any reason for the elimination of the protein powder 1 week before the surgery?
    I know of no reason why this would be the case. I suppose the OMFS told him to stop drinking milk or eating yogurt 1 week prior also?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I know of no reason why this would be the case. I suppose the OMFS told him to stop drinking milk or eating yogurt 1 week prior also?
    Thanks for the quick reply.

No he didn't say to cut out anything other than protein powder. I told her that this was BS but she insists that we follow the recommendation. I think that this is one argument that I am not going to win. I have to pick my battles.

I have a Vitamix so I guess we will be making some supplement shakes to take the place of the protein powder.

He has his teeth removed 5/13 and I will be taking him to the appointment. I will be sure to ask more questions than the wife and will post the answers.

Anything specific that I should ask? I am sure that the surgeon will try to dazzle me with technical terms since he is a MD and I am not.

Thank you,
    Kevin

So the doc is actually a DDS (or DMD) if they are pulling the thirds- though I suppose an ENT might do it...But anyway, these folks are pretty reasonable and the surgery is, in general, pretty straightforward. I used to work as a surgical tech in a busy OMFS office and we probably did 10-15 cases a day. He'll probably be on a soft diet and need to rinse his mouth regularly. Biggest thing I'd be wondering about is when he can train again without worry of any excessive bleeding from the surgical sites- though I'm not sure if this is a consideration at all like it is post tonsillectomy, for instance.

Many oral surgery residencies grant an MD after finishing. They are 6 year programs after dental school. So they usually end up D.D.S., M.D.

Anyway, I extract teeth all day long and I have to agree with Jordan. I can't possibly think of a reason to abstain from protein powder. Perhaps she is thinking about other supplements and a bleeding risk? I don't do general anesthesia, however. So, I can't speak to that.

Yes he is a DDS. From what I understand he has been doing this for 20yrs.

Instructions were no weightlifting for 1 week after the procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by gibsones300 View Post
    Many oral surgery residencies grant an MD after finishing. They are 6 year programs after dental school. So they usually end up D.D.S., M.D.

Absolutely- depends on the residency and the program. The OMFS I worked with was a DDS, MD, in fact. I should have been more clear.

I had a Le Fort Osteotomy done two years ago and they didn't tell me to abstain from protein powder before or after the surgery. Just the pre-general anesthesia fast that's normally recommended. If fact my OMFS encouraged it post surgery to help with the healing process. I also had protein powder before my wisdom teeth removal if I remember correctly. Anywho, just my two cents, I lived to tell the tale!

Although I think the surgeon is wrong, will abstaining from protein powder for 1 week really matter in the grand scheme of things? (eat more meat) In 6 months will you look back and think, damn, I wish he could've taken that protein? Maybe the surgeon misunderstood what he has been taught. From the articles I have read they recommend a protein supplement after surgery.

starting strength coach development program
    It's pretty clear to me that either the doc wasn't paying attention to the question or has no idea what whey protein is. Either way, it matters little in the grand scheme of things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast