starting strength gym

Thread: Craig Bearss's Training log- coming back to strength after a bout of running

Default Craig Bearss's Training log- coming back to strength after a bout of running

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey y'all,

So I must apologize for being so completely absent from the online community. Got my coaches cert from the seminar in Seattle last March, and I guess I've been too busy coaching, lifting, and smoking the BC weed to spend much time on the forums. But no time like the present to get more involved.

My numbers from Provincials last June:
    Squat: 551
    Bench: 352
    Deadlift: 628

bw: 247ish

Took a little break from powerlifting and decided to run a half marathon (gasp) last weekend. Did this as a bit of a bucket list item. Also, I coach a lot of runners for strength, and I just wanted to experience a bit of running to have some insight into their world. Overall it was a good experience but I'm eager to get back on the Gain Train.

Last week before the run I managed a 405x3 squat (which felt awwwwwful) and a 315x2 bench at a bodyweight of 219. For the 6 or so weeks before the run I kept my lower body volume very low and intensity high as to not lose too much strength. Think I did a pretty good job of that while getting pretty damn lean (starting to see some abs).

I'm going to start back on a modified LP for a few weeks to try to get myself back to respectable numbers and then back to intermediate programming once it is warranted. I also think it will be good to re-acquaint myself with what its like to go through the LP.

Numbers from Tuesday-
    Squat- worked up to safe 5rm as we would with any novice, worked up to 365 but it felt way too heavy, so decided I will go back to 315 and make steady 10lbs jumps
    Press- 175
    Deadlift- 365

Thursday-
    Squat- 325x5x3
    bench 245x5x3 - so sad
    Rows 185x 10x3

Starting very light but should be back to form by end of the month.

May 9th
    Squat (no belt) 335x5x3 (starting to feel better)
    Deads up to 385x5 (double overhand)
    Lateral sled drags 4x40yards
    Backwards 5x40 yards
    Sled push 5x40 yards done emom