starting strength gym

Thread: BigG's Training Log - Obese 43 Year Old Getting With the Program

Default BigG's Training Log - Obese 43 Year Old Getting With the Program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Bought the book and watched YouTube videos in early March. Did 1 week then took a week off to read more of the book and rewatch the videos for better form. I started logging my lifts on the app 3/20 as below and I'm including a few weekly points since then:
    43 year old desk jockey and started at around 275 lbs and I'm 6'1". I'm now adding just 5 lbs per session to all lifts as of 5/5. Will try to take some videos soon for a form check.

3/20

Weight 275
    Squat: 3x5x115
    Bench: 3x5x125
    Deadlift: 5x145

3/31
    Weight 277
    Squat: 3x5x115
    Press: 3x5x75
    Deadlift: 5x155

4/7
    Weight 277
    Squat 3x5x155
    Bench: 3x5x150
    Deadlift: 5x195

4/19
    Weight 286 (went on cruise, tried to keep with program using Smith machine
    Squat: 3x5x165
    Press: 3x5x80
    Deadlift: 5x225

4/29
    Weight 282
    Squat: 3x5x190
    Bench: 3x5x175
    Deadlift: 5x255

5/5
    Weight 282
    Squat: 3x5x195
    Press: 3x5x95
    Deadlift: 5x260

Welcome.

Are you only lifting sporadically? I.e., you should be lifting at a minimum of twice per week, maybe even three times per week.

Show some vids if possible. See a certified SS coach.

Thanks Carson. I was just posting a few past data points above rather than all workouts. I have been lifting mostly 3 times a week but taking an extra day off occasionally when I felt extra sore (or in one case after doing a bunch of yard work), so I haven't been on a strict M/W/F but varying the days (with no more than 3 day rest). I'm convinced the program is working for me but perhaps need to take a step back with the weight and work on form. Just rewatched some videos and see I've been breathing wrong (exhaling at top) on deadlifts, for instance. Probably time to invest in the program (replace Vans with lifting shoes and see one of the certified coaches) as you indicate.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome.

Are you only lifting sporadically? I.e., you should be lifting at a minimum of twice per week, maybe even three times per week.

Show some vids if possible. See a certified SS coach.

Thanks for the clarification. You have outlined a good plan I believe. If you are able you may wish to post some videos in the technique area. It's a challenge to lose weight while gaining strength. But is certainly not impossible. Check out the nutrition section or look at Karl Schudt's experience on his log in the Competitive section. Keep on keeping on.