starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Novice Texan's training log (30 y/o 6'3" skinny dude)

Default Novice Texan's training log (30 y/o 6'3" skinny dude)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone, here is my story and current situation. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I got tired of being weak and decided to start doing something about it mid January this year (2016). Ironically, Google thought it best that I discover a Belgian dude's version of SS instead of the original Texas, grade A program (I am from Texas, and yes, I am referring to the Stronglifts 5x5 program).

I stuck with SL from mid-January to April 21, but then switched to SS as of April 24. I have made noticeable albeit not spectacular progress in the 3-4 months I have been training, and I want to continue to improve more efficiently.

I received the Starting Strength book as a gift for my birthday in mid April. I purchased PPST earlier today (arrives Thursday, thanks Amazon).

I work out in my garage Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday. I have a simple power rack and a couple of rubber stall mats I use for deadlifts, cleans, and press (my power rack is old and doesn't have capability of loading the bar on the outside of the rack, so in order to press I have start from the floor and clean the weight at the beginning of each set).

Numbers:
    A/S: 30 / male
    H: 6'3"
    BW: 190 lbs (in January was was 174 lbs) ... body fat ~12% according to several readings on an Omron paddle reader (may be higher or lower in reality but it's a reference point)

Latest complete worksets:
    Squat: 195x3x5
    Press: 105x3x5
    Deadlift: 215x1x5
    Bench: 150x3x5
    Power Clean: 105x5x3 (just started this exercise last week or so)

Athletic background: High school basketball player, some very light weight training in high school (12 years ago). Currently play basketball 2x/month (Saturdays). In the short time I have been lifting I have noticed a huge improvement in my speed, agility, and endurance -- feels great.

Additional information and questions:

Squat: I started with the 45-lb bar, and sustained an injury (maybe piriformis strain?) at ~100 lbs worksets. This had me out of commission for squats and deadlifts for a couple of weeks -- even BW squats were painful. I recovered and started over, then sustained a similar injury at 155 lbs worksets -- lower body out again for 1.5-2 weeks. I finally saw a trainer in April, and he corrected some form errors. I started using a belt a couple of workouts ago, at 190 lbs. It is becoming much more taxing to squat, and I felt more comfortable bracing with a belt. I have not yet failed on squats, and I have stuck with the 5lb increments every workout (from the SL program). How do I know if/when I should use a belt?

Press: I reset on press after straining with bad form at 95. After form correction visit with trainer, doing better.

Deadlift: See squat above - intermittent time off due to injury. Did Sumo deadlift for a few weeks while muscle strain healed. Switched to conventional recently. Most recent set of 215 was very challenging, and I believe I had some back rounding. I will try to take some videos to share. Perhaps I need to work on hamstring flexibility. Any thoughts?

Bench: In high school this was my weakest lift, and today I am benching more than I ever did then. I also have never successfully done a chin-up, from when I first tried in elementary school to today -- although I am getting closer. I am built heavier in the legs vs. torso/arms, although I have put on noticeable upper body weight in the last few months. I failed at 155 in my last two bench workouts with 3 minutes of rest between sets. I will try again today with 5 minutes of rest.

Power Clean: I just introduced the Power Clean a few workouts ago, with a starting weight of 95 lbs (recommended by the app). I noticed some soreness in my right shoulder after my workout Sunday and the next day. Will need to monitor this.

Open to comments, criticisms, questions... I will try to post a form check soon.

Welcome from a fellow Texan in the same neighborhood as you on several lifts.

Thanks Zeppelin. I took a look at your log, and I see you have been adding 10 lbs per workout through your last workout. I have been doing only 5 pound increments on squats (a carryover from the Stronglifts program). I am currently only resting 2 minutes between sets, but I wonder if I should try 10 lbs increments and give myself more rest between sets. What is your current rest period?

I started actually timing rests when my squats got to around 200. I'm currently at 6mins between sets for squats, 5 for bench, 4 for press, 3 for power cleans.

So... Yes add rest. However much you need to recover between sets. You need time to replenish ATP stores.

Thanks, I am going to workout now and will try that.

Quote Originally Posted by PNT View Post
    Thanks Zeppelin. I took a look at your log, and I see you have been adding 10 lbs per workout through your last workout. I have been doing only 5 pound increments on squats (a carryover from the Stronglifts program). I am currently only resting 2 minutes between sets, but I wonder if I should try 10 lbs increments and give myself more rest between sets. What is your current rest period?
    During warmup, I rest as long as it takes to change the weights.

For working sets, I rest anywhere from 3-5 minutes between sets depending on how gassed I feel.

I always time my breaks and never start the next set before three minutes has passed regardless of how I feel.

Do you videotape your lifts? If so post some, especially of Squat and Deadlift. Your injuries may be due to some poor technique. Go see a certified SS coach. We have several in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Do you videotape your lifts? If so post some, especially of Squat and Deadlift. Your injuries may be due to some poor technique. Go see a certified SS coach. We have several in Texas.
    I taped my squat for the first time last night and will post video once I get it uploaded. I believe you are right, my previous injuries were form related. I saw a trainer last month and made some improvements which have helped me progress without injury (so far).

Video coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
    During warmup, I rest as long as it takes to change the weights.

For working sets, I rest anywhere from 3-5 minutes between sets depending on how gassed I feel.

I always time my breaks and never start the next set before three minutes has passed regardless of how I feel.
    Re: warmup resting, same here.

Re: working sets, I was timing my rests to 2-3 minutes. I extended the rest time yesterday and it made a difference -- I just barely missed my last rep on bench but will get it next time.

On cleans, maybe I am not doing enough weight yet, as 1-2 minutes of rest was sufficient. How much are you resting on PC?

Tue, 5/10

SQ: 200 3x5
    BP: 155 5/5/4 (failed last rep)
    PC: 115 5x3 ... some soreness within my right shoulder this morning (rotator cuff?). I took some video and will post later, I probably have a form issue.

Still cannot do a pull-up, but getting closer.

Resolved to eat like a beast this week. 5 eggs for breakfast #1 this morning. Curious what everyone else eats for breakfast / throughout the day to make calorie and protein targets.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by PNT View Post
    I believe you are right, my previous injuries were form related. I saw a trainer last month and made some improvements which have helped me progress without injury (so far).
    A trainer. Believe me a trainer is not equivalent to a certified SS Coach. Following "a trainer's advice" will probably lead to injury. Go see a certified SS Coach.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast