starting strength gym

Thread: Weght loss TM

Default Weght loss TM

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Jordan,

Just a bit of background i'm 5'7 175 lbs currently doing Texas method 4 day version.
    Current lifts in kg are 162 x 5 singles squat, 175 x 3 deadlift 110 2x3 bench 65 x3 OHP
    I have been lifting for 18 months now and I think I have my diet under control when it comes to eating enough.

Now I have competed last few months in a powerlifting meet in the 83 kg category and I really enjoyed it I am wondering if it is possible for me to maintain my lifts and mange to go down to the 74 category? Am I being unrealistic in my goals?

Thank you in advance and sorry if this was asked before.

Could you do it? Sure, probably- but that's probably not the best use of your time. You have more room to get stronger and see what your BW does. I'd bet you'd be a better 83 if you filled out the weight class (and likely an even better 93). Or you could toil around in the 74kg class and see guys who are 5'4 at your bw set records.

Well the only reason I am going down because everywhere (Lyles forum, some of your posts and powerlifting to win) I look from a nutrition point of view they say that if you are above 20% bfat that you should reduce the weight and then bulk back up as something to do with your hormonal profile (honestly out of my depth here) so I thought if I decreased my Weight class to 74 and saw how I performed and then bulked back up to 83 I might be at a better starting point for getting more lean body mass.

Sorry if this is stupid nutrition is one of those things that is black magic to me.

I think at your level of training you'd be best served by not cutting. If you were further along in your training, cutting may be the right choice.

Cool, I hate cutting as well since on Texas method it's quite a nightmare and causes me to get PMS like symptoms.

Just out of curiosity when would be time for me to stop and cut if needed? Also you mentioned that I might be better to fillout at 83 or even 93.
    How would you go about doing the 83 part? Just eat high protein and basically maintain the same macros as long as I'm making intensity day progress?

PS: If this is nearing consultation levels I honestly have no issue paying as you seem very knowledgeable (I was reading through this section today)

starting strength coach development program
    Yea I think that the real answers to your question will be very individualized, so perhaps it's consultation territory.

As far as when to cut, in general, I don't think it's necessary to cut unless certain goals are taking priority (e.g. being lean) over being strong or you're over the weight class for a competition. To add body weight, I'd slowly add carbs and fat, keeping protein about the same. And both VD and ID need to go up over time, but yes as long as they are going up=GainzZz™