starting strength gym

Thread: KarlK's SS Training Results 5 Months

Default KarlK's SS Training Results 5 Months

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, everybody -- first time poster.

Have been working with SS Coach Dave Abdemoulaie since January of this year. Dave is a great coach.

About 5 years ago started a whole series of Beachbody stuff and did those over the years. Power90, P90X (multiple rounds), Insanity, Body Beast.

Height 5'10'
    Weight now -- 229 (started at 236).

I am going to do a few posts here to see if this all works. First, my entire progression over the past 5 months. Dave says for my age I am outlier, as I continue to progress. I think 250-275 on the squat is doable, mid 200s for the bench, maybe 150 for the press, and -- it would be amazing!! -- 400 on the dead.

Last edited by KarlK; 05-20-2016 at 01:47 PM.

Here is my progression by session. Some fall backs from time to time, but still up.

Last edited by KarlK; 05-20-2016 at 02:26 PM.

Nice work, young fellow. It's nice to see that people younger than I are doing well. David is a good man. Do you live on the Northside of Chicago? We lived near Chicago most of our adult lives.

Carson, thanks.

I live on the North Shore, about 25 minutes from Dave's gym. Of all the people most pleased with me having a coach, my wife tops the list. She was VERY happy I have both a coach and a spotter when I squat.

Hey Karl - Congrats! on the great work. Dave coaches me as well...as time & money permit. I think you may have been coming in when I was leaving (his garage) a week ago on Saturday morning. Keep posting as you can, its fun to watch how others are progressing. Randy

Results for today

Squat 3x5---225
    Bench 3x5---195
    Dead 3x5----335

Still progressing!

That was 340 today, Karl!
    David Abdemoulaie, SSC
    Chicago Strength & Conditioning

Results from Wednesday

Squat 3x5---230
    Press 1x3. 1x4. 1x5 ---136
    Dead 3x5----345 (up from the REAL number last time, as Dave mentioned above).

230 squat felt VERY heavy, but pretty good form all the way through. Form is getting more consistent.

The press was reasonably ugly -- but I did get a full set in at the end. I have a bit of a right should tweak that pops up from time to time, and it did on the first set. I always thought I would have an easier time with the overhead press, as I always did well on shoulder work in P90X -- I could so sets of 10 with 2 45lb dumbbells. But it's proving to be the toughest lift for me, which I guess is not surprising.

In the dead on the 4th rep I fell forward (!!) on my hands, after I put down the bar, as if the momentum of lowering the bar got me unbalanced a bit. Alas, no harm. Righted myself and pulled the last rep per usual.
    Last edited by KarlK; 05-26-2016 at 02:39 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Good recovery on the Deads.