starting strength gym

Thread: Long Term Effects of Cut-Bulk Cycles

Default Long Term Effects of Cut-Bulk Cycles

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Jordan,

Are there any long term effects of cut/bulk cycles? I read that Tom Hanks attests his diabetes to his very harsh cut-bulk cycles for movies, but I don't know if that's legitimate or not.

I'd have to assume if there are any effects, they would be mitigated by doing slower bulks/cuts with a lower weight change, but that's just speculation on my part.

What do you think?

Thank you for providing your expertise on the matter.

I seriously doubt that cutting and bulking (if we can call it that for Tom Hanks) has anything to do with him getting type 2 DM.

Apparently, he's had high blood sugar since 36 and he is now 59. He most likely doesn't train on top of having both genetic and environmental risk factors for developing it. I doubt, however, that his movie role weight requirements had anything to do with it.

So, Tom Hanks aside, do you think there are any long term effects of cut-bulk cycles for strength training athletes and sport athletes in general?

When the fuck has Tom Hanks ever bulked up for a role? Unless he means get fatter, which he's done. Getting fatter and training/eating to gain muscle are two entirely different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I seriously doubt that cutting and bulking (if we can call it that for Tom Hanks) has anything to do with him getting type 2 DM.

Apparently, he's had high blood sugar since 36 and he is now 59. He most likely doesn't train on top of having both genetic and environmental risk factors for developing it. I doubt, however, that his movie role weight requirements had anything to do with it.
    I've heard that it's a common complaint in Hollywood among actors who've done extreme bulk/cut cycles (usually chemically assisted both ways) that they start getting diabetic symptoms that require intervention. I don't know if this is transient of permanent but I'm not surprised - the amount of stress you're putting on your body's hormonal systems with the idea of lose 70 pounds / gain 70 pounds / lose 70 pounds etc must be immense.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
    So, Tom Hanks aside, do you think there are any long term effects of cut-bulk cycles for strength training athletes and sport athletes in general?
    That when implemented correctly they end up bigger, more muscular, and at their desired body fat level over time. I don't think there are long lasting negative health effects from cut/bulk cycles if done correctly. In fairness, most people just get fat when they "bulk" and lose too much muscle mass when they "cut".

Quote Originally Posted by Bolson32 View Post
    When the fuck has Tom Hanks ever bulked up for a role? Unless he means get fatter, which he's done. Getting fatter and training/eating to gain muscle are two entirely different things.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by grumble View Post
    I've heard that it's a common complaint in Hollywood among actors who've done extreme bulk/cut cycles (usually chemically assisted both ways) that they start getting diabetic symptoms that require intervention. I don't know if this is transient of permanent but I'm not surprised - the amount of stress you're putting on your body's hormonal systems with the idea of lose 70 pounds / gain 70 pounds / lose 70 pounds etc must be immense.
    While I'm not privy to the exact schedule of actors/actresses/producers, etc.- since moving to LA I definitely can feel my A1C ticking up.....

In all seriousness, their schedule/stress levels/diet are pretty much shit for a good part of their working life, which can definitely have an effect hormonally. Again, is it diabetes inducing? Maybe, certainly more plausible than blaming it on "cutting/bulking" IMO