starting strength gym

Thread: Just a question on recomp

Default Just a question on recomp

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan -

I've been on the novice program for about 4-5 months now, and I've just got a question about my intake.

I've gained quite a bit of weight, 90kg -> 100kg and sitting at around 18-20% bf at the moment [6ft 3]. I've been on a weight gain strategy (10% over TDEE on rest days, 20% over on WO days).

I'm now at a point where I'm not sure I want to gain much more weight. At 18-20% bf I don't look great, and although I'm aware Rip at times advocates a 'eat big get strong' mentality, I don't want to end up looking like a total slob.

I'm thinking of doing a basic recomp > -20% on rest, +20% on WO days. This will keep me pretty close to maintenance according to my calculations.

My question:

Even though I'm eating more on WO days, do you think that my performance in the gym will be adversely affected by less calories on my rest days?

I have been missing a few reps in the past few weeks, but I'm not sure that this is because of my diet or I'm exhausting my LP gains. [currently in lbs: SQ 293x5, B 213x5, D 319x5, OHP 141x5]

You are a super athlete as I've seen, and you aren't fat.

Is there any hope for me?

Thanks in advance

How old are you and how many times have you stopped and started LP?

I'm 19.

Stopped LP for a long time over Christmas/NY and have reset a few times to fix my form since then.

I would not recommend cutting just yet, though you can slow weight gain down to 1lb a week or so. 110-115kg is probably a happy medium weight for you, though 130+ is likely your strongest weight for barbell sports. At any rate, you need to squat 405 x 5 x 3 in a few months and cutting isn't going to help you do that, nor is it going to help you get laid.

Shit 130kg. That's scary.

Is there any way I can get up there (one day) without like 35% bf?

Not saying I want to be ripped, but I am bit nervous about looking like a slob.

Quote Originally Posted by gorazel View Post
    Shit 130kg. That's scary.

Is there any way I can get up there (one day) without like 35% bf?

Not saying I want to be ripped, but I am bit nervous about looking like a slob.
    Slow and steady wins the race. Let's get cracking today!

Sorry if I'm not understanding this...

But is there actually any point in me going to 110-130 though?

As in, if I'm getting enough protein anyway, wouldn't a leaner 100-105kg lifter have the same strength as a 130kg fatter guy?

Quote Originally Posted by gorazel View Post
    Sorry if I'm not understanding this...

But is there actually any point in me going to 110-130 though?

As in, if I'm getting enough protein anyway, wouldn't a leaner 100-105kg lifter have the same strength as a 130kg fatter guy?
    The point is that to get to a "lean" 105 (which may or may not be possible and may or may not be important for what you want) you will need to weigh considerably more than 105 at some point in your life most likely. And no, a leaner 105 would not necessarily be stronger than a fatter 130- quite the opposite in most, but certainly not all cases.

Ok up I go then.

What's the best way to do it sustainably? Slight surplus over TDEE, high on the protein?

I feel 30kg of fat would be easy enough; not really what I'm aiming for though

starting strength coach development program
    Have you read this?