starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lower back pain after deadlift

Default lower back pain after deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    After finishing the novice phase, I tried different methods off programming. Keeping the same exercises, I decided to emphasize the deadlift. So I did one high volume deadlift session each week.
    First I did a deload, then I worked my way up with 10 sets of 3, followed by a tapering of sets when weight got heavy after a couple of workouts. So that I have both volume and intensity in each cycle.

When I started the tapering, I was doing 10 sets of 3 with a little less than the weight I was using at the end of SS.

When I did 5x3 with some pounds more than that, I was getting shaky in my legs, but besides this my form didn't deteriorate . After grinding out my last set, I stood up and felt a dull ache in my lower back. It was in the lower end of it, just above the hip.

This pain got better when standing, worse when bending forward or doing any lifting movement. The muscles got really tense and it took a week until I could start training with high reps and moderate weight. Two weeks later I could deadlift again (I did change to RDL back then), but there was still some lighter pain doing it. So I stopped doing it.

The pain reappeared doing the RDL every time I was at the lowest point of the movement with the hamstrings fully stretched and my lower back under tension.

I thought that it could be a strain, but I didn't feel a pull. I didn't feel anything when it happened. My back suddenly started aching.

Do you have any idea what this could be?

Do you have a video of your deadlift that you can post so that we can rule out gross technique errors as the cause?

Unfortunately not. I didn't usually film them.
    I could, if the injury allows it, begin training the deadlift again and make a video when weights are challenging.

DL 275 for 5x3
    squat 210 3x5

18yo
    height: 6'1"
    weight during that time: 175
    nutrition: at the end of a diet after SS.

Why are you doing sets across with 275? Could you please list out your full program?

Currently I am doing some BB training, but (I know, I already wrote it several times, but just to prevent confusion) during that time:

Mon
    DL 10x3

Tue
    Press (2.0)
    3x3
    barbell row
    3x3

Wed
    frontsquat
    3x5
    Press (1.0)
    3x10
    barbell row
    3x10

Fr
    bench
    1x5
    3x10 back-off
    high-bar squat
    3x10
    chin-ups
    3x max

Quote Originally Posted by intermtrainee View Post
    When I did 5x3 with some pounds more than that, I was getting shaky in my legs, but besides this my form didn't deteriorate . After grinding out my last set, I stood up and felt a dull ache in my lower back. It was in the lower end of it, just above the hip.
    Sounds like you hurt your back dead lifting, my man.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Sounds like you hurt your back dead lifting, my man.
    Indeed. This is why we don't do heavy deadlifts for sets across.

Why are you doing sets across with the same weight? Triples are heavy. How about doing one triple then remove 10% and 3-4 back offs. I'd opt for RDLs for 6s over rows for 10s. This way you can get more pulling volume in without killing your back and still have sufficient weight on the bar.

starting strength coach development program
    So I finally went to a doctor. Pictures were okay.
    After some magic, my back was again in place again and instead of the previously ache I got some pleasant sort of pain right there. Didn't know something like that exists.

So my conclusion out of this:
    In the future I will think twice if I grind a rep.
    And I doubt that I will ever train heavy deadlifts for multiple sets again.

Thank you for your help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast