starting strength gym

Thread: Lab results - peculiar

Default Lab results - peculiar

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan

Not sure if this is appropriate under nutrition or not.
    Recently had some lab tests run after my first year of strength training and nutrition programming. Though pleased in the progress I have been making in both body composition and strength, the lab results provided some peculiar results.
    I am 36 years old, height of 6 foot 3. 14 months ago I weighed 236lb. Today I am 204. Over this time period I lost 4 inches around waste, dropped blood pressure by over 30 points, and added gains in major lifts (squat +150%, deadlift +70%, standing press +25%, bench +15%). It is not a rapid pace but it is one for the long haul.
    My food consumption changed drastically when I started. Over the last year have fluctuated between 2800-3300 calories, the difference being on where I placed carbs. Protein intake was 1.3g per lb, fat intake was .4g per lb, and carbs was .5-2g per lb. Only supplements I take are protein (BiPro) and a mens multivitamin.

Lab results came into today and I was surprised.
    Total cholesterol jumped by 50mg/dl (reported high), HDL improved to normal level, LDL jumped by 60 (reported high), triglyc dropped by 40 (reported normal).
    More interesting to me was the BUN and Creatinine readings. The BUN levels increased significantly and now reported as high (prob increase in protein in diet), however creatinine levels stayed the same and are reported as low. The first lab test was pre strength/nutrition changes. The second 14 months after.
    Prior to consulting with dr, I was wondering since you would be more familiar with this type of diet and training if you had any insight and thoughts?

*high, normal, low determinations just based on what was flagged in red on lab report.

Hard to really say anything intelligent about the numbers without knowing if the lab was the same AND, honestly- I don't really know what you're working with strength wise so the percentage changes don't mean much to me wrt to "how much muscle did this guy maybe put on". I also don't know any of your exact numbers, your medical history, etc. so really I'm just 100% in the dark and I don't have much to say besides GOOD JOB on getting your BP down, starting training, and decreasing your waist size.

Jordan

After posting a realized there were probably countless additional pieces of information you needed. Appreciate you taking time to read and respond anyhow. Depending on what dr says I might schedule private consult with you to discuss the specifics and a plan forward.

Quote Originally Posted by ccm12 View Post
    Jordan

After posting a realized there were probably countless additional pieces of information you needed. Appreciate you taking time to read and respond anyhow. Depending on what dr says I might schedule private consult with you to discuss the specifics and a plan forward.
    No worries- just didn't want to take 10,000 words to respond and 1/2 of them be maybe or perhaps, haha!