starting strength gym
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Early

Default Starting Early

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Just finished high school, and just starting Starting Strength! I actually started last week on the 31st and I'm on my 4th workout now, but I thought I may as well start posting my progress on the SS forum.

Height: 5' 11''
    Weight: 165 lbs
    Starting weight:
    Squat: 95 lbs
    Press: 65 lbs
    Deadlift: 135 lbs
    Bench: 85 lbs

I've had some prior experience lifting in the 5 rep range before, but it was mostly just farting around in the weight room. Weights feel very light even after the 4th workout. Read SSBBT and PPST3, along with Mean Old Mister Gravity.

June 7, 4th workout (Not including warmup sets)
    Squat: 125x5x3
    Bench: 95x5x3
    Deadlift: 165x5

Feels great! The hardest part is the milk. My parents are vegan-ish, so it's tough to convince them of the whole GOMAD thing. Drinking a whole gallon is not as hard as I thought.

Welcome! You're in a great spot to begin seriously strength training. Alot of us wish we new about SS when we were in high school/college! We look forward to the seeing you progress. Let me know if you have any questions.

Welcome aboard. I second Adam's reflection that many of us wish we had known about SS much earlier. I did not start until I was 66 but have made admirable progress over these three years.

You didn't mention where you are from but it is good to find an SS coach. He can correct any errors you might make early on. Then visit him/her from time to time. You many wish to post some videos either here or in the technique section.

Welcome. Good job getting started. Just to piggyback off what Carson said, if you can't get to a SSC or training camp, it's a good idea to record your workouts and get your form checked. The sooner the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Franklin View Post
    Welcome! You're in a great spot to begin seriously strength training. Alot of us wish we new about SS when we were in high school/college! We look forward to the seeing you progress. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Yup - I echo that. You've got a ton of room to grow and get stronger. Good luck with your training!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I will definitely post a form check or two before the month is over. My only problem is that I don't have a smartphone, but I'll find a way to record my work sets.
    Anyway, here's today's workout, along with an interesting occurrence.

June 9, 5th workout
    Weight: 164 lbs
    Squat: 135x5x3
    Press: 75x5x3
    Deadlift: 175x5

During my last warm up set of Deads, I noticed that the bar was going forward of my mid-foot, which I assumed was because I moved the bar a tiny bit forward before the pull. As I finish the set, this coach comes up to me and gives me some advice.

Now, I work out at a gym more geared towards powerlifting and bodybuilding, so I assume the coaches have more experience than your average fitness "expert" at the local YMCA, but seeing the kind of coaching that goes on around here, I was prepared to take it with a grain of salt.

He tells me that my hips are too high, which I thought was good advice until he showed me his setup. His shoulders were behind the bar and his hips were real low, like in a squat position. I tried to dodge his advice by saying that I do SS and that I have this five step technique for the deadlift setup.

Showing him the five steps actually fixed my bar path problem. He said they were good lifts even though they weren't like his at all. Just when I think it's all over, another guy comes over and starts talking to both of us. The fist guy introduces him to me. His name is Josh Flemembaum, who apparently was the number one teen powerlifter in the country or something, he was a bit vague about it. He said he did a lot of coaching and that he would be ok with checking my form for free if I was interested. He gave me his business card and they both left. I finished my set of five with no problem.

So, those two guys were really nice, but I think I might have to pass on the form check thing. I know he a professional powerlifter, but I'm not really powerlifting. I'll stick with the forum.

Hey welcome to the forum
    It's always nice to have a form check though in my opinion.(and it's free!) And you might learn a thing or too. And if you don't like what the guy tells you just ignore it.

June 11, 6th workout
    Weight: 165 lbs
    Squat: 145x5x3
    Bench: 105x5x3
    Deadlift: 185x5

Diet should be back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Congratulations on starting a log and training in a structured manner at your age. Provided you can eat enough, the novice LP will take you far. You mentioned your parents are vegan-ish, can you get meat into your diet?
    Thanks for the welcome! My parents follow something called the "whole food plant based diet." It's basically a diet of beans, potatoes and salads from what I see. The don't eat any meat at all except Christmas and Thanksgiving (They do it strictly for health reasons, not that PETA crap).

They're pretty reasonable people, but I had to convince them on the whole GOMAD diet via SSBBT and some youtube videos where Rip talks about it. I think they're completely on board now, as long as I cook everything myself. I just cooked up a whole chicken breast an hour ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    I also looked up the Josh dude you ran into. I'd politely decline his coaching in the future. His Instagram is full of nonsense.
    Yea, that's what I gathered. He seems like a nice guy, though.

I'm going to be completely honest, powerlifting looks really strange. I plan on staying far away from it. (Don't tell Josh.)

starting strength coach development program
    June 13, 7th workout
    Bodyweight: 167.6 lbs
    Squat: 155x5x3
    Press: 80x5x3
    Deadlift: 195x5

Diets definitely down. Gaining exactly 1 pound a day.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast