starting strength gym

Thread: Bench, Right arm lagging?

Default Bench, Right arm lagging?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey, quick stats 30 male BW 195, Squat 355x5, Bench 235x4, Press 175x3, DL 375x2 (the descending reps is totally unintentional)

For the past 3 weeks I've had pain in the anterior deltoid on my right side. The pain is primarily after benching and there feels like there is a lag in my right side when I push out of the bottom. I thought I would take video to see how asymmetrical my push was but found no glaring issues. I bench twice a week on Mondays and Fridays and press on Wednesdays following a HLM template which i started about a month ago. The videos are from yesterdays Medium day at 185. There are benches on either side of me so it's very difficult to get a side shot. Hopefully, the coaches can provide some feedback? I do bench heavier tomorrow if that would give any better potential feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-6oE...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7xhU...ature=youtu.be

I only watched one of your videos, but I don't see anything seriously asymmetric. Your grip is quite narrow and you are very loose when you bench. You are practically letting the bar fall to your chest. Control the bar on the way down. Get everything tighter. Drive back with the legs, pinch your shoulder blades together the whole time. Consider a slightly wider grip, although if your shoulder is tender that may or may not help things. The pain in your shoulder could be the biceps tendon, one of the rotator cuff tendons, or something else. Fixing your technique would be a good first step, however.

I didnt consider my bar speed. Thinking about it, dropping it like that and "catching" it would cause a ton of force with weights that shouldn't be an issue. I've purposely benched narrow for a long time figuring that if i wasn't going to compete there was no need for the undue stress. Thank you.