starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chin ups in app

Default Chin ups in app

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I see you got chins added to the app. Thanks for that!

I have a question about the implementation. My understanding is that it was supposed to replace the deads/cleans as an every other workout thing. You have it being there in every session. Is this how it is supposed to be programmed? I'm just wondering if this is coming from Rip or just how it was implemented.

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

Quote Originally Posted by schmatt View Post

I have a question about the implementation. My understanding is that it was supposed to replace the deads/cleans as an every other workout thing. You have it being there in every session. Is this how it is supposed to be programmed? I'm just wondering if this is coming from Rip or just how it was implemented.
    Welcome! I will check this with Aasgaard, you may very well be right.

Quote Originally Posted by schmatt View Post

I have a question about the implementation. My understanding is that it was supposed to replace the deads/cleans as an every other workout thing. You have it being there in every session.
    Ditto... thanks for adding Chins! As an Geezer, I cannot do DL's every other workout, so I appreciate this feature and was also wondering if you can set it up so an Assistance Exercise that can be inserted in place of Deads and/or Power Cleans on those days when necessary. Also, many of us older can't do Power Cleans due to wrist injuries so we sub in chins, dips, or barbell curls as per the program. If there were a way to add-in any of these per a drop-down menu to replace DL's/PC's that would be fantastic. Thanks for your great work!

Quote Originally Posted by hopsluvr View Post
    Ditto... thanks for adding Chins! As an Geezer, I cannot do DL's every other workout, so I appreciate this feature and was also wondering if you can set it up so an Assistance Exercise that can be inserted in place of Deads and/or Power Cleans on those days when necessary. Also, many of us older can't do Power Cleans due to wrist injuries so we sub in chins, dips, or barbell curls as per the program. If there were a way to add-in any of these per a drop-down menu to replace DL's/PC's that would be fantastic. Thanks for your great work!
    Sure, I think this is possible and I am planning a "older folks / slower recovery" program as outlines in Practical Programming which will have something like that. I'm a bit bogged down with re-writing some of the crappy code in todays training which was causing crashes and other problems so it is on the list but might be a little while yet. thanks for the feedback!

Hey shabu, big fan of the app. Any update on this issue? I'm managing for the time being by just ignoring chins on A workout days, but it would be more helpful to a lot of people if the app followed the book and only showed chins on B days. Also, I'd love to see back extensions and other assistance exercises built into the app. Thanks for all your hard work! Can't wait to see the app improve over time.

Quote Originally Posted by bschreiber View Post
    Hey shabu, big fan of the app. Any update on this issue? I'm managing for the time being by just ignoring chins on A workout days, but it would be more helpful to a lot of people if the app followed the book and only showed chins on B days. Also, I'd love to see back extensions and other assistance exercises built into the app. Thanks for all your hard work! Can't wait to see the app improve over time.
    yup, it will be fixed in the next update. I'm rewriting quite a lot of the todays training and training history code to fix some of these lingering bugs so its taking a a little while longer than expected, should be out next week! thanks for your patience.

Hello, just started using the app and loving it so far. The bugs in this forum still seem to be an issue on my phone, though. Using an Android phone. Did I miss an updated app somewhere? Thanks for your work.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I'll clarify the bugs I'm having, in case you need to pinpoint more:

Chin-ups only get added when "Add to Workout A" is selected. I clicked to add them to Workout B, but they didn't show up in today's training (which for me was workout B). Also Today's Training seems to want to flip my A or B workout days every time I click it, not sure if this adds to the issue of the chin-ups. It's an easy fix, just clicking the A/B swap button, but doing this didn't bring up chins. Thanks again. I know it can be hard to hash out the small bugs, so I don't want you to think I don't appreciate what you've done here.

Oh, and I had the issue of chin-ups being added to the program rather than replacing deadlift or power clean for that training session.

starting strength coach development program
    So how does it work now? I see that I can choose to "switch on" the chin-ups on A and/or B workout, but does this mean that the chin-ups will be just added on top of the regular workout or will they replace deadlifts/power cleans? I would like to switch power cleans to chin-ups, but is this currently possible?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast