starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for a 2.5 inch deadlifting belt

Default looking for a 2.5 inch deadlifting belt

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Anyone have good recommendation for a 2.5 inch or 3 inch width weightlifting belt? I'm willing to spend a good amount of money on this, so expensive brands like Inzer or Best Belt is fine by me, as long it'll last me years and is good quality.
    Last edited by heavyiron8; 06-27-2016 at 05:40 PM. Reason: 3 inch belt is fine too

I have a 3" Best and a 4" GLC. I don't think you can go wrong with either. But I will give GLC the nod over Best Belt in terms of responsiveness, customer service and belt options. If you decide to contact Best, do not use the email on their site, use bestbelts1982@aol.com.

Quote Originally Posted by tnumrych View Post
    I have a 3" Best and a 4" GLC. I don't think you can go wrong with either. But I will give GLC the nod over Best Belt in terms of responsiveness, customer service and belt options. If you decide to contact Best, do not use the email on their site, use bestbelts1982@aol.com.
    Hey thanks, I actually already own a 4 inch GLC belt. Really just looking for a 2.5 inch belt for deadlifts.

Just as an aside, 2.5 inch belts are also viable for squats right?

Quote Originally Posted by heavyiron8 View Post
    Hey thanks, I actually already own a 4 inch belt. Really just looking for a 2.5 inch belt for deadlifts.

Just as an aside, 2.5 inch belts are also viable for squats right?
    Can't comment specifically on a 2.5", I use a 3" to pull personally. I'm sure Cody or someone else here will be able to give some input on 2.5" belts. Then Shug will chime in and ridicule the thought of a 2.5" belt.

Lol. John Hanley ended up with the one I had, he also laughed and got rid of it.
    Last edited by Meshuggah; 06-27-2016 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tnumrych View Post
    Can't comment specifically on a 2.5", I use a 3" to pull personally. I'm sure Cody or someone else here will be able to give some input on 2.5" belts. Then Shug will chime in and ridicule the thought of a 2.5" belt.
    Could you link the 3'' best belt that you use? If it's also viable I'm willing to take that over the 2.5''. As long as the belt doesn't get in the way of the starting position of the deadlift.

This any good? https://generalleathercraft.com/prod...eated-pioneer/
    Last edited by heavyiron8; 06-27-2016 at 05:44 PM.

Could you link the 3'' best belt that you use? If it's also viable I'm willing to take that over the 2.5''. As long as the belt doesn't get in the way of the starting position of the deadlift.

This any good? https://generalleathercraft.com/prod...eated-pioneer/
    Yes, that is a good belt. It's cheap and it works just fine. If you want it as a 2.5" instead, you can e-mail Matt at GLC and ask for it to be cut.

Edit: Here is a video of me with deadlifting baby weight with the belt on so you can see the actual color (it is lighter than what's pictured on the GLC sight): Deadlift 295lbs - YouTube

I think the photo on the GLC website is a little more worn, and I was hoping it would be that dark. But it's not a big deal. You can also see that 3" doesn't look that tiny on me (I'm just over 6'1") so you might be able to use it to squat if you really wanted to. I used someone's 2" deadlift belt once to try it out and it was digging too much into my fatass belly.
    Last edited by marcf; 06-27-2016 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Yes, that is a good belt. It's cheap and it works just fine. If you want it as a 2.5" instead, you can e-mail Matt at GLC and ask for it to be cut.

Edit: Here is a video of me with deadlifting baby weight with the belt on so you can see the actual color (it is lighter than what's pictured on the GLC sight): Deadlift 295lbs - YouTube

I think the photo on the GLC website is a little more worn, and I was hoping it would be that dark. But it's not a big deal.
    How do you like it for squats? or do you use a 4 inch to squat?

I used it to squat once and I don't like how it felt, but it worked just fine. I probably wouldn't make it a habit, though, because the belt is pretty thin.

I use the 13mm 4" Pioneer belt to squat and it's a little more pricy. I like it a lot, but if I had to go back I would choose the 10mm belt instead.

starting strength coach development program
    You almost definitely can use a 4" for squats and presses, and if you can, you should. The 3" or 2.5" is better for deadlifts for many people, and as far as I can tell, it's a matter of personal preference for bench. I'm a short guy with a short torso, and I squat and press in a 4" and bench and deadlift in a 2.5" I've coached maybe 3 people for whom a 4" was too wide even for squats. While we may still debate the exact mechanism of the action of the muscles' interaction with the belt, I think everybody agrees that you want as much support as possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast