starting strength gym

Thread: Is Feeling Fatigue Reliable?

Default Is Feeling Fatigue Reliable?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Is tiredness reliable for for measuring recovery near the end of LP?

Background:
    I am older and recovery is an issue, but my normal schedule is busy so I tend to miss a lot of workouts, which adds recovery days. I'd like to be a little more dedicated to getting into the gym regularly. The last workout (below) was after 96 hours rest and the lifting was easy and I felt great afterwards, so on one hand I think I have more LP in me, especially if I cut down on the volume by switching to two sets of 5 on my way to TM (haven't tried it yet). But I planned to have an easy day today except for re-introducing BP, but I was exhausted on my rest day (yesterday) and barely feel right today.

Does anyone have experience with whether feeling fatigue for somebody near the end of LP (a year to two ago I missed SQ reps at 365 and 370 -- in hindsight I think from insufficient recovery/over-training) is reliable? Yes, I'm sure it's in the book, but asking anyway.

58, 5'8, 218 (a little fat)
    SQ 340 5x3
    OHP 180 5x3
    DL 400 1x5
    BP (haven't in a few months)
    Each is a little less than 10% off of a PR.

I'm not exactly young anymore though my attitude has a hard time figuring this out, the standard is check if you're taking enough rest between sets, are you eating enough and the modern day scourge are you getting enough sleep? As for "feelings" some of the best days I've had in the gym were the hardest days to drag myself in there in the first place. Generally if you've checked off the above and you're still missing reps several days in a row you are approaching the limits of your recovery and will need to adjust your programming to match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feelings vs Data | Starting Strength Podcast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think it is pretty normal to start feeling increasing amounts of fatigue towards the end of LP and possibly get in a bit of a fatigue deficit, especially if you're giving it real effort.

Have you added in a light squat day, a la advanced novice program? I find that was hugely helpful for me. Since extra recovery from missed days seen to be helping I'd guess that planning them wouldn't be a bad idea.
    Also noted in PP a one on, two off setup allows for more recovery, I believe recommended with alternating light and heavy (squat) days. That comes out to an increase every 6 days.

ETA: This assumes you are basing your decision to take the extra days on lifts' performance, not feelings.
    Last edited by damufunman; 07-11-2016 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    Think it is pretty normal to start feeling increasing amounts of fatigue towards the end of LP and possibly get in a bit of a fatigue deficit, especially if you're giving it real effort.
    Thanks. Feeling fatigue is subjective, but it's still data.
    When I got up to (if I am remembering it right) 370 5 x 3 on LP, I was fatigued all the time. A coach basically said, "of course you are. You have too much volume. Switch to two days per week."

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by damufunman View Post
    Have you added in a light squat day, a la advanced novice program? I find that was hugely helpful for me. Since extra recovery from missed days seen to be helping I'd guess that planning them wouldn't be a bad idea.
    Also noted in PP a one on, two off setup allows for more recovery, I believe recommended with alternating light and heavy (squat) days. That comes out to an increase every 6 days.

ETA: This assumes you are basing your decision to take the extra days on lifts' performance, not feelings.
    I tend to miss a lot of days because of my schedule, which has worked for me -- mostly unintentionally. My plan is to throw in a light squat day so that I have more days in the gym to start benching. Thanks for the input.