starting strength gym

Thread: Macronutrient check - lowering protein intake and adding carbs?

Default Macronutrient check - lowering protein intake and adding carbs?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi.

First of all, I want to thank you for the time and effort you put in to this forum! I do appreciate it highly.

If possible, I´d like to hear your opinion and a quick diet check. I dropped from 95 -> 87 kg in a span of 4 months or so. Now I´ve been at maintenance with macros consisting around:
    5 days/week
    P: 230-240 g
    C: 340-350 g
    F: 80 g

1-2 days/week I´ve done a high carb/refeed day which I´ve placed on the most high volume or active days:
    P: 200-210 g
    C: 450-500 g
    F: 70 g

At the moment my goal is to maximize performance and gain a bit of weight back, probably to around 90 kg or so. I noticed that you said in a recent topic that protein intake about 200 g/day is sufficient for for almost anyone (excluding super heavyweights I assume). Therefore would you drop the protein intake to around 2g/kg and replace the remaining calories with carbs? Also, do you see the benefit of having high carb days or would you even out the energy distribution?

Thanks! And yes, I´m still considering getting some coaching from you later on.

Therefore would you drop the protein intake to around 2g/kg and replace the remaining calories with carbs?
    Yes, exactly.

Also, do you see the benefit of having high carb days or would you even out the energy distribution?
    I think given your energy intake right now, there's likely some benefit from high/low days. Once your intake goes a bit higher you can just do the same thing everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by JukkaM View Post
    Hi.

First of all, I want to thank you for the time and effort you put in to this forum! I do appreciate it highly.

If possible, I´d like to hear your opinion and a quick diet check. I dropped from 95 -> 87 kg in a span of 4 months or so. Now I´ve been at maintenance with macros consisting around:
    5 days/week
    P: 230-240 g
    C: 340-350 g
    F: 80 g

1-2 days/week I´ve done a high carb/refeed day which I´ve placed on the most high volume or active days:
    P: 200-210 g
    C: 450-500 g
    F: 70 g

At the moment my goal is to maximize performance and gain a bit of weight back, probably to around 90 kg or so. I noticed that you said in a recent topic that protein intake about 200 g/day is sufficient for for almost anyone (excluding super heavyweights I assume). Therefore would you drop the protein intake to around 2g/kg and replace the remaining calories with carbs? Also, do you see the benefit of having high carb days or would you even out the energy distribution?

Thanks! And yes, I´m still considering getting some coaching from you later on.
    Do you mind sharing what macros you used to cut down ? I'd like to trim down from 100-90kg approx

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Yes, exactly.

I think given your energy intake right now, there's likely some benefit from high/low days. Once your intake goes a bit higher you can just do the same thing everyday.
    Out of interest. What kind of intake would you like see eventually when lifting 3-4 times a week and doing sports practice 4-6 times a week with a bodyweight around 90 kg? Protein around 180 g, fat 80-90 g and carbs around 500-550 g? I wouldn´t oppose of having even more carbs though...

Lloyd90. Can´t asnwer that accurately though. I dropper around 4kg´s during traveling and I couldn´t track my macros during that time. Actually the initial drop in bodyweight was a "half accident". After that I decided to try to get it a bit further. After that I dropped 3 kg´s or so with macros around P: 250g, C: 290-350 g, F: 80-90 g. It´s not very accurate but hopefully it helps.

I don't really have a "goal intake", Jukka. Rather, it's more outcome/results based. Your targets seem about where I'd expect though.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I don't really have a "goal intake", Jukka. Rather, it's more outcome/results based. Your targets seem about where I'd expect though.
    Ok! Good point.