starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alcohol and Performance

Default Alcohol and Performance

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

I've noticed that I have improved performance in the gym after two drinks. Obviously I don't go at all intoxicated, but I've recently been going after work events and find that there's a significant difference when I've had two drinks versus going without any alcohol in my system at all. I find:

- Hugely decreased discomfort during the movement (ex: my body isn't screaming at me when I'm on the last rep of a heavy set)
    - Improved performance (I find it easier to get reps that I know would otherwise be borderline to fails)
    - Little sensation of 'fear' when I confront a near-limit set. Normally I'll get anxious before a set as my fight or flight response triggers, but here I feel energized but calm

I've been trying to figure out why this happens. I was thinking that the alcohol (and the sugars that often come in the mix) might be giving the soft tissue a temporary energy boost, and maybe alcohol improves neural recruitment? It also seems to simultaneously even out that mental response. Why do you think this happens, and have you seen or experienced this elsewhere?

Interestingly, alcohol was one of the first PED's used in sport in a cocktail with strychnine. Some people though etoh increases pain tolerance and decreases anxiety associated with performance. That said, data does not support this for endurance or strength sports. And no, alcohol does not improve neural recruitment or "even out" a mental response. That being said, the placebo effect is very very strong, at times. Chris Duffin talked about doing shots of bourbon before deadlifts, but again- there's no evidence to support that this is a good idea.

There's a growing movement of pothead crossfitters out there who cite similar benefits, namely the "decreased discomfort during the movement" and "little sensation of fear when confronting a near-limit set." I think it's gaining traction because it's not something you have to digest, and it doesn't throw your macros, either. Not trying to hijack the thread, but felt the "recreational drug PED" topic fit here - and didn't deserve a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfTheLiger View Post
    There's a growing movement of pothead crossfitters out there who cite similar benefits, namely the "decreased discomfort during the movement" and "little sensation of fear when confronting a near-limit set." I think it's gaining traction because it's not something you have to digest, and it doesn't throw your macros, either. Not trying to hijack the thread, but felt the "recreational drug PED" topic fit here - and didn't deserve a new thread.
    Yea it just doesn't really work either, which is a bummer.

It's odd to me how Pot's effects are perceived by people so differently. If I were mid workout and needed to hit a max set, smoking weed would be the least beneficial thing. I'd be unmotivated and unfocused within like 5 minutes. Some dudes I know can smoke and dial in and clean their whole house. I'm assuming this has to do with peoples different brain chemistry's/personalities but it's totally weird and cool. I'm one of the guys that thinks legalized marijuana is actually a tricky proposition and not a moot point. I certainly can't drive on the shit.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfTheLiger View Post
    Yeah, not really something I'd recommend pre- or intra- workout. Post-workout, however, it can be a powerful tool for recovery. Appetite stimulation, relaxation, and all that, but where it really shines is when you need to 'work out the kinks' with your lacrosse ball or PVC roller.

While alcohol makes me slow and stupid(er), and I just don't see it for a max rep, let alone a max set, isn't alcohol the quickest source of energy? A fourth macro? If yes, perhaps this could explain why it gives people that little extra.

I know some people react to alcohol in a very violent and jacked up way. Others fall asleep.

99% of us out here will never be anything other than mediocre. Why can't we just accept the challenges, put in the work, and realize there are no short cuts and even if there were, most of us are in a place where those things wouldn't benefit us?

It especially bothers me with cross-fitters and their impressions that they are special snow flakes who "eat clean," wear stretch pants, and don't wear belts because they're "functionally strong."

Sorry, just trained at a "box" recently and it was a bit traumatic for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Chris Duffin talked about doing shots of bourbon before deadlifts, but again- there's no evidence to support that this is a good idea.
    From personal, anecdotal experience, the whiskey-and-deadlifts supplementation scheme is an excellent excuse to take a shot of bourbon at an "inappropriate" time of day. The evidence for this benefit is so strong as to be irrefutable.

starting strength coach development program
    lol "hold my beer..."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast