starting strength gym

Thread: Upper thigh/groin pain

Default Upper thigh/groin pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I started the novice program about 2 weeks ago, all lifts had gone up nicely and i was at a 200 lbs squat. Around my 150 lbs squat i started developing this pain in my groin/upper thigh area (around the hip flexors) in my left leg, it only bothered me when coming out of the bottom position during my first lighter sets, it wasn't nearly as bad during the worksets so i kept going up.
    After looking at a video of me squatting i noticed my form was pretty damn bad (mostly knees sliding forward) so i am thinking of starting again from lighter weights.
    I still have no idea on what that pain could be and how to address it, or if i should stop training for a while because it gets really bad when coming out of the bottom position.

Knee slide can cause that type of pain. Get your knees set and don't let them slide. Concentrate on shoving your knees out.

Foam roll, massage, stretch

What Tom said. If able, post a video to confirm. It may also be hip impingement, or several other things. Hard to tell from here...

From the little bit of info, my wild guess is that it is hip flexor tendinitis. Read about the knee slide problem mid way through the squat chapter of the book, then fix your form (TUBOW is your friend). From my personal experience, hip flexor tendinitis caused by a bad case of "knee slide," and squatting correctly (over time) heals the tendinitis.

I will attest to what Adam said. I had a similar issue with hip pain right at the crease between my hip and leg. Obviously, you need to fix the form issue that caused the problem to begin with. This will not make it go away immediately. It probably took over a month before it was completely gone for me. But it should slowly improve and not get worse if you really have fixed form. Also, stretching out your quads after your workout will help with soreness too. Finally, the ibuprofin protocol can help calm it down enough to start to heal.

Sounds a little similar to my pain. Does your pain last afterwards? If not it is different.

I have femoralacetabular impingement ( FAI ) in both hips, which caused a labral tear in one of them (feels like a crunching sensation in the hip when climbing stairs). Good threads on here about the condition. If it is hip impingement - getting knees out more can help. So can a lot of mobility/flexibility work, especially with distraction from a stretching band. There's some info about that in Supple Leopard (first part of the book is drivel).

I don't have the FAI issue, which from what I understand is pretty rare. More likely issue is poor hip ROM, like what I struggle with. When I used to cross my leg, it would stick up at more than 45 degrees. Crossing my leg and trying to push it down flat while keeping my back tight and leaning forward has helped tremendously. You pretty much have to do it everyday though. And it still took close to 2 weeks before it started to stay looser than before.

I used to not even get to parallel in the squat without my lower back rounding. I know a lot of people will say this is due to form, but it really was a hip ROM issue. Once I started doing this stretch, I have no issues getting to depth without my lower back rounding anymore.

starting strength coach development program
    Maybe Buttermilk from E&P can take a look at that for you