starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did I overtrain? Serious question.

Default Did I overtrain? Serious question.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    For these past two months since I rediscovered my love for lifting I've been training almost everyday.

5-6 times a week.

I alternate press / squat days, always working up to a 3-5 heavy sets. Following my main lift, I do some clean and jerks (light), and some assistance back / shoulder work.

I warm up well. Cardio + foam roll + stretch. I also do 1 hour of stretching after lifting.

To give you an idea of where I am, I'm 165 lbs and squatted 300 lbs x 1 a week ago. I've overhead pressed 155 a month ago but since I switched to behind-the-neck press, it went down to 135. Still, my BTN press has been increasing: 115 x 4 reps a few days ago.

I thought I could get away with lifting everyday if I alternated lifts. Then I learned that there's something called CNS fatigue which is not muscle-group specific. Symptoms include general feeling of exhaustion, injuries that won't heal, stress. I have all of these. I feel like shit.

I also lost strength. Warming up has become extremely painful. I have constant pain behind the knees. Not injured (as in something tore), it just feels tender and inflamed.

What do you think? What is the best course of action so I can get back to lifting ASAP?

I'm not convinced CNS fatigue is really a thing but yeah training 6 days a week heavy is going to tax most people's recovery.

Drop a day or two off the training, program your progression with a bit more restraint, deload for a week, eat more protein and see how you feel in 10 days.

Thanks for the reply. Forgot to mention diet. I'm eating at maintenance. 150 - 200 grams of protein. Plenty of fat. Alcohol everyday. I don't count anything. Sometimes i have a double whopper pre workout and another post workout.

What really makes me think i dun goofed is how painful warming up has become, the constant aches on my feet, and this weird flu-like exhaustion. But I'm not sick.

I also heard that it's not unusual to peak in strength during some early stage of overtraining. Which explains my 300 squat last week. Then i crashed.

I'm taking the weekend off and started taking fish oil to lessen the inflammation.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Forgot to mention diet. I'm eating at maintenance. 150 - 200 grams of protein. Plenty of fat. Alcohol everyday. I don't count anything. Sometimes i have a double whopper pre workout and another post workout.

What really makes me think i dun goofed is how painful warming up has become, the constant aches on my feet, and this weird flu-like exhaustion. But I'm not sick.

I also heard that it's not unusual to peak in strength during some early stage of overtraining. Which explains my 300 squat last week. Then i crashed.

I'm taking the weekend off and started taking fish oil to lessen the inflammation.
    How much are you drinking each day? Getting drunk one night shouldn't ruin your lifting the next day, but every day will tax your recovery, and most notably, impair sleep quality. Try eating better (fewer ingredient) food, dropping the alcohol the night before your heavy days, and report back in a week.

What is your question? You're training heavy 5-6 days a week, eating at maintenance, drinking alcohol every day, and... you're surprised you feel like shit? If you train too much and don't prioritize recovery at all of course you're going to feel bad. I don't mean to be a dick but it sounds like you're not following any of the general recommendations of the Starting Strength community. Eat more, eat better (balanced macros, less alcohol), sleep a lot, and use a better-designed training program.

You're eating like shit, drinking alcohol everyday... I'm not sure what you expected to happen. And I highly doubt you're over trained.

You mean ibuprofen, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    +1 [emoji1303]

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    I only take nsaids for injuries. Don't want to make a habit out of it.

How am i eating like shit?

starting strength coach development program
    I only take nsaids for injuries. Don't want to make a habit out of it.
    Are they habit-forming?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast