starting strength gym

Thread: Advice for an injured novice lifter

Default Advice for an injured novice lifter

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    20, M, New to training- no previous history of injury

I've had pain and feeling of instability in my left shoulder during certain movements for 2 1/2 months.

The injury started two and a half months ago while benching. I felt a burning sensation in my left shoulder during the set but worked through it. I suspect now that my left elbow may have flared out and that I wasn't tight enough. I (stupidly) kept lifting through the pain and eventually had to drop the bench completely. I've tried continuing my SS progression with only presses but the pain has persisted.

-Pain was initially an 8 (driving and putting on a shirt was difficult) but is now sitting at a 3. I have good shoulder mobility.
    While touching the front of the shoulder can be slightly tender, certain movements aggravate it such as bench and chins

I've seen a sports doc, who diagnosed me with biceps tendonitis and a rotator cuff strain. He sent me to PT, where I was prescribed band exercises (External Rotations, Scapular pushups) and told to take some time off from lifting.

I'm eager to get back to training and would like to see what the board would recommend.

I've got the same issue in my right shoulder; previously diagnosed as bicep tendonitis at the proximal insertion. Developed it before SS while doing P90.

These days, it flares up and then recedes. Some mornings in the past, I couldn't raise my arm. Bench press aggravates it. Chins help.

The first time, I beat it with naproxen. Were you prescribed any?

If it's really a tendon issue, and that's not uncommon, NSAIDs are the typical recommendation around here. You've got to alleviate the inflammation. Do a search for the ibuprofen protocol.
    Last edited by Satch12879; 08-11-2016 at 06:43 PM.

Post bench form checks. Occams razor - No amount of rubber banding therapy, self myofascial masturbation or NSAIDs will work if you have bad form on the bench it's quite an unforgiving movement if done incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Post bench form checks. Occams razor - No amount of rubber banding therapy, self myofascial masturbation or NSAIDs will work if you have bad form on the bench it's quite an unforgiving movement if done incorrectly.
    The drugs help. It's already inflamed; even perfect form will aggravate it to some degree. But yes, once you whip it, prevent it from re-occurring.

I've done some reading and the ibuprofen protocol sounds promising.