starting strength gym

Thread: PumaJr Beginner Training Log

Default PumaJr Beginner Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey, all. I am a 36 yo male, 6'4" 249 lbs. I started SS on 6/28/16. My progress from then to now is as follows:

Squat 135x3x5 >>> 240x3x5
    Deadlift 135x3x5 >>> 265x3x5
    Bench 115x3x5 >>> 160x3x5
    Press 75x3x5 >>> 115x3x5
    Power Clean 115x5x3 >>> 125x3x5

A couple notes:

I would guess I'm about 30% bodyfat (right at the cusp of skinny fat and fat fat). I actually started at 243 and moved up to 253 in 7 weeks. Since then I have started tracking my calories and macros to stay at 3,000 cal with 250 g protein. I shed off some bloat weight down to 249 and I'll adjust as necessary to drop a pound a week as long as it doesn't kill my progress. Even with the added weight, my body comp still looks better in the mirror. Just trying to avoid becoming a strong obese person.

About a month ago I moved to 80% squats on Wednesdays. My back would still be really tight for my Wednesday and Friday workouts and I would have problems completing my sets. I haven't had any issues setting new PR's every Monday and Friday since then.

Deadlifts are still progressing but the grip is getting harder and harder every time. I'm trying to hold off on going to switch grip until I get to 315.

Press is getting really difficult. I only got 4/4/3 yesterday at 120. I ordered some 1.25 lb plates from Rogue so hopefully that helps me keep pushing forward. If not, the plan is to reset and move forward at 2.5 lbs per workout.

I just started power clean so we'll so how it goes. I'm more concerned with form now trying to learn the movement and get the bar cleanly racked on my shoulders. I used to be one of those guys that thinks their forearms are too long, but I've realized I just need practice and confidence.

Welcome. It's good to young and able to do the dynamic lifts. But I'm happy doing the others. Keep up the good work.

Welcome! You're making some good progress mate, keep it up.

After yesterday's workout, my new numbers are:

Squat 250x3x5
    Deadlift 270x3x5
    Bench 170x3x5
    Press 120x3x5
    Clean 115x3x5

No real problems advancing squats. I lost a little bit of form in my last few squat reps where they almost turned into good mornings, but that was more of a focus issue.

Deadlifts on Friday were much easier than last Monday. I bought some Nike Metcon 2's and even though they aren't as good as some of the dedicated powerlifting shoes, they were much better than the running shoes I had been using. I was able to put the weight further back off my toes and really drive up.

I hit all reps on the press at 120 on Friday (this was the weight I failed at last Monday).

I got my 1.25's in from Rogue so I'm planning on going up by 2.5 every workout on bench and press from here on out. The last couple bench workouts have felt like I'm getting close to failing but I haven't failed yet.

On Wednesday I really hurt my arms on power clean. I wasn't getting under the weight enough and getting my elbows up on the rack and it really compressed my wrist and arm in a painful way. I also probably had my arms bent a little on the jump. Yesterday, I reset to 115 and just did hang cleans to work on keeping my arms locked on the jump and racking the bar cleanly and it felt really smooth. I think I'm going to stick with hang cleans for a couple weeks just to get the motion trained so I don't end up hurting myself.

Also I have been doing chins after my Monday workouts. I started out just doing 3 sets of 5 negatives, since i didn't have the strength to do real chins at 250 lbs. I'm at the point now where I'm doing 2 full chins and 3 negatives per set. Once I can get to 5 full chins I will increase my reps to 8.