starting strength gym

Thread: Bench Press imbalance after shoulder injury

Question Bench Press imbalance after shoulder injury

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hurt my left shoulder on Jun 14th when I max out on bench press. After 2 weeks(arond June 29th) I start doing incline press and rows as rehab,2 weeks later my shoulder feels better and i start doing flat bench press.
    Now it seems recovered(no pain ,no soreness) but recently i start to record my training I found when I bench press the lefts side of barbell is lower than right side.But arms lock out the same time. Never had it before my injury.
    I don't feel the imbalance when I press,and have tried to control it,keep my back tight,scapula are retracted. I don't have any problem in other movements,Incline BP is fine,OHP is fine,Row is fine,just FLAT Bench press. And my friends say it looks like I'm pressing bit towards my left side,not straight upwards.Heres the video
    Usually like this

and the best i can do (only some time)

BTW,I just ordered a slingshot, don't know if it will be helpful to force my form to be normal...
    If anyone know what's happening ,please help me.thanks

I'm having the exact same problem as you and I don't have a clue what's actually causing it. I've had to revert to DB bench press until I figure out how to fix my wonky bench press.

See if you can catch your feet in the video. I started doing that and a little experimentation showed part of the problem was one foot and leg was tighter than the other - and therefore the whole leg drive was off.

Quote Originally Posted by I_iz_a_fatass View Post
    See if you can catch your feet in the video. I started doing that and a little experimentation showed part of the problem was one foot and leg was tighter than the other - and therefore the whole leg drive was off.
    Thanks,I'll record again tomorrow and see if that's the problem. Appreciate your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Heart View Post
    I'm having the exact same problem as you and I don't have a clue what's actually causing it. I've had to revert to DB bench press until I figure out how to fix my wonky bench press.
    That's quite disappointing, if I figure out where my problem is I'll tell you ASAP.

I think I know what the root of the problem is; I'm flaring one of my elbows out more than the other. I'll need to work back up from a weight where I can keep my humeri at the same angle relative to my torso.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion Heart View Post
    Hi,someone just help me solve my problem.The reason of my bench press imbalance is my position on the bench.My body always slip to left side and I never realize it before (maybe because recently I'm training in another gym and I 'm not used to their bench.)Today I let my friend guide me into the right position and the form goes normal again.
    I got several answers these day,which include:
    1.muscular imbalance(weak side lats/triceps/rear delt)
    2.Set-up/position
    3.Practice right Range of motion
    Hope this is helpful to you!