starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower biceps pain

Default Lower biceps pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have a bit of pain in my right arm biceps, a few inches from the crook of my elbow. It may be more annoyance than pain. No pain in my elbow.

Pullups hurt (palms facing out), but chinups (palms in) and neutral grip (palms facing each other) seem fine.

Should I rest it or should I just work through it or should I treat it like an elbow tendon issue (many sets of a few reps)? So far, doing no pullups or variants for a day or two and doing my normal routine (some combination of pullups, chinups and weighted chinups) haven't made a noticeable difference.

It's probably a touch of biceps tendinitis at the distal end. There's an article on The Art of Manliness about ways to tackle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    It's probably a touch of biceps tendinitis at the distal end. There's an article on The Art of Manliness about ways to tackle it.
    According to the AOM article (Dealing With Bicep Tendonitis: A Multi-Step Approach | The Art of Manliness) "bicep tendonitis, but it basically felt like a dull, painful ache on the anterior (front) part of your forearm where it meets your bicep tendon". This is on the inside part of the upper arm.

I did a bunch of sets of neutral grip pullups, which seems to have helped. We'll see how it feels in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    According to the AOM article (Dealing With Bicep Tendonitis: A Multi-Step Approach | The Art of Manliness) "bicep tendonitis, but it basically felt like a dull, painful ache on the anterior (front) part of your forearm where it meets your bicep tendon". This is on the inside part of the upper arm.

I did a bunch of sets of neutral grip pullups, which seems to have helped. We'll see how it feels in the morning.
    Hammer curls might help too. my elbows are always happier with lots of curls and chinups.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Hammer curls might help too. my elbows are always happier with lots of curls and chinups.
    I'm not sure if this is an elbow (tendon) issue or a muscle issue. It's further up the arm than usual elbow issues.

Hammer curls make sense as part of the usual advice here to work an injured area to prevent scaring (for muscle tears) and to make sure there's lots of blood flow to the area.

Which side of the elbow, medial or lateral (for reference, determine with your palms facing up)?

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    Which side of the elbow, medial or lateral (for reference, determine with your palms facing up)?
    It's not on a side of the elbow. It's a couple of inches up from the bend of the elbow, on the biceps.

Your answer could be clearer, but i assume that means is is fairly central with respect to being medial or lateral. If so, that seems a fairly unusual presentation.

It is fairly central.

Pullups (pronated grip) hurt, but not as much as earlier. Chinups and neutral grip don't hurt and make it feel better for a while. When not "in use", it's sometimes noticeable, but no real pain.

starting strength coach development program
    How bad is the pain? If you can train through it and can't remember what caused it I wouldn't worry.

If it hurts to perform a certain exercise to the point that it disrupts your ability to do so or the pain is too distracting then stop doing that movement or any other silliness that exacerbates it.
    Avoid that movement for a few days and then reassess. Leave it alone, don't rub tennis balls on it, or poke at it with a blunt stick or foam roll it or add any deep heat. Don't add curls if you are not already or do band work or smear peanut butter on it, avoid praying to strange deities / making deals with devils or who knows what other snake oil you kids are being fed this month by T-Nation/Art of Cuckliness.

If it shows no sign of improvement after a couple weeks, additional steps may need to be taken.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast