starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: APH84's novice log

Default APH84's novice log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Did my first workout yesterday (28/8/16) after a couple of weeks practising in the garage with a wooden pole and reading SS.
    I am 31 y/o, 6'1", 95kg and ~24% bodyfat. I've never done proper strength training before but I was a reasonable rugby player at uni. Nowadays I could be described as "fluffy" round the edges.

So I ended up with the following work sets:
    Squat: 40kg 3x5
    Press: 25kg 3x5
    Deadlift: 50kg 1x5

I think I was pretty wimpy and could've gone heavier, and it seemed subjective as what counted as "reps starting to slow down". But I didn't want to push it until I'm more confident my form is good, so far I'm just videoing myself on my phone as I go.

So we'll see where I get to. I'm still checking out which is the best local gym to use, yesterday's doesnt have a proper power rack. Also I work shifts including nights so I'll have to be adaptable to get my 3 workouts in each week. Finally, I'll see how it goes with diet, I dont think I need the 6000kcal and GOMAD designed for the 18y/o sparrows...

Welcome! Keep up with the program and you'll see the weight increase pretty fast.

2nd session (first workout B)

Sq 45x5x3
    BP 60x5x3
    DL 60x5x1

Good news, the other local gym has a better set up and the guy that runs it is an Olympic weightlifter. He was really helpful and is going to go through the clean with me when the time comes.

Still all feels a bit light. I'm sure in a couple of months it's going to feel very heavy...

(weights are kg. Also just realised I flipped the rep x set numbers around that time. Confusing! I'll settle on a format soon.)

Cool beans. Finished week one.
    At the moment I'm not planning on starting power cleans for another couple of weeks and no chins for a couple more after that.

I'm adding 5kg each workout to squats and deadlift and 2.5kg for press and bench press.

Anyone able to give an idea of roughly how many weeks folks can continue that kind of weight progression and when the gains normally get reduced to 2.5/1.25kg etc and also what week people start only doing 2 increases per week instead of 3 etc.

I know I can just be patient and follow the process but I quite like having targets or something medium term goal to aspire to. I tried to have a go on a spreadsheet but obviously wildly overestimated how long these increases can be sustained for as it was forecasting something like 220kg squats in six months time. Apparently that would be a good 1RM for a master powerlifter of my bodyweight!!!

I know it depends on my effort, diet & sleep and maybe even genetics at this stage....I just wondered what are the ball park gains at 2, 4 and 6 months that most SSPL guys would consider average and what would be very good?

Or perhaps a better question would be- what are the "holy crap those are only achieved by a tiny percentage of 18y/o guys make in perfect circumstances" kind of gains? The kind everyone might wish for but aren't really going to happen? The limit of what's genuinely possible but highly unlikely...?

End of week 2:

Squat 65kg 3 sets of 5
    Bench 65kg 3x5
    Deadlift 80kg 1x5
    (Last workout Press 30kg 3x5)

So still going up 5kg at a time on the squat and deadlift, 2.5kg at a time on the press and bench press.

Feels a bit ridiculous that my bench and squat are the same weight. I'm not sure whether to jump up a bit on the squat. But then again,next week my squat will go up 15kg and my bench only by 2.5kg.

The dude who Olympic weightlifts is gonna do a form check with me next week.

Start of week 6:
    Squat 97.5kg 3x5
    Bench 72.5kg 3x5
    Deadlift 105kg 1x5

Did Press 40kg 3x5 on last workout

Had a couple of tricky weeks in terms of shift patterns so only got 2 workouts in. But the weight's still going up, I'm increasing the squat by 2.5kg a workout now instead of 5kg. So Sq, OP and BP going up 2.5kg a time and DL is going up by 5kg. Still haven't actually missed a rep yet, maybe I will soon...

Happy to be lifting above my bodyweight for the squat and deadlift now. Time to start studying the powerclean.

I've found it really helpful to do a foam rolling and stretching routine include some tension band stuff as especially my shoulders were really tight when I started.

Quote Originally Posted by APH84 View Post
    Or perhaps a better question would be- what are the "holy crap those are only achieved by a tiny percentage of 18y/o guys make in perfect circumstances" kind of gains? The kind everyone might wish for but aren't really going to happen? The limit of what's genuinely possible but highly unlikely...?
    I just listened to the Rip podcast from last week. And while it depends on genetics, work effort, etc and me recalling this correctly. The numbers they spit out if you run SSLP under the prescribed conditions 'should' result in squat being be in low 300lbs, DL in low 400lbs, bench low 200 lbs, and OHP high 100 lbs. There are a number of things that will speed that up and slow it down, so dont put it on a time frame on it. Read the book, eat, sleep, lift and focus on proper technique, and adjust accordingly.

IF you want to know where you will be in 2 or 4 month, open on a page on your calendar and write down the work outs. If you can LP for 4 months without adjustments that is my amateur opinion of very good.

starting strength coach development program
    Ga. Devil gave good advice. Not everyone can lift those weights at the end of LP. Some can lift more. Just keep at it. You may wish to post some of your videos in the technique section.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast