starting strength gym

Thread: Occasional ankle pain

Default Occasional ankle pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been having some ankle pain recently and wanted to get some advice. Kind of an odd pain, where I can be walking along normally and suddenly I get a pain on the medial aspect of my left ankle, just distal to the end of the tibia. More of a dull pain, not sharp, maybe 2-3 on the pain scale. There's no particular movement that makes the pain appear and I can't make it appear by moving my foot on its own sitting here at my desk. Not sure what might be involved. Tibialis posterior? No swelling that I can detect. Because the pain is intermittent, I can't really tell if ibuprofen is having any effect. I have a history of plantar fasciitis, which comes and goes and is right now giving me some pain on the bottom of my heel. I don't recall any particular incident that started the pain and it hasn't affected my lifting. I do wrap the ankle with an Ace bandage before a workout, mostly as a psychological thing, I guess. Today is my heavy workout day with squats and deadlifts and I just wanted to see if I could get any input from anyone who might have had a similar experience . I'm guessing the general consensus will be to work through it, but I just wanted to check.
    Thanks.

-RJP

For what it's worth I get a similar thing in the same ankle; I've found squatting doesn't exacerbate it and seems to help it resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by I_iz_a_fatass View Post
    For what it's worth I get a similar thing in the same ankle; I've found squatting doesn't exacerbate it and seems to help it resolve.
    Thanks for the input, iz. That's been my experience as well. How long did it take to go away, if it has? Or does it come back on a regular basis?

At the gym tonight, I didn't notice anything doing squats and deads, but I found the pain appeared when I had weight on the left foot and then turned to the left. In the locker room after my workout, I tried the same motion and no pain. Walking down the stairs at the gym, no pain. Walking down the stairs at home right after, pain. Weird.

-RJP

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Thanks for the input, iz. That's been my experience as well. How long did it take to go away, if it has? Or does it come back on a regular basis?

At the gym tonight, I didn't notice anything doing squats and deads, but I found the pain appeared when I had weight on the left foot and then turned to the left. In the locker room after my workout, I tried the same motion and no pain. Walking down the stairs at the gym, no pain. Walking down the stairs at home right after, pain. Weird.

-RJP
    I attribute it to being part of the price I pay for not sitting on my ass. I've no idea the cause or cure.

According to "The Triggerpoint Therapy Workbook", pain in that area can be caused by trigger points in the gastrocnemius muscle of the calf. You might try rolling the area with a lacrosse ball. If it hurts, you're doing some good.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Grayson View Post
    According to "The Triggerpoint Therapy Workbook", pain in that area can be caused by trigger points in the gastrocnemius muscle of the calf. You might try rolling the area with a lacrosse ball. If it hurts, you're doing some good.
    Before I read your response, I did exactly that, rolling a lacrosse ball in the area just below the end of the tibia. Hurt a good bit during the rolling but the pain went away when I was done, so good call. Came back a couple of days ago, more rolling, pain gone again.

-RJP

See if your everyday walking shoes are worn out. When my shoes get worn out, I get ankle pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7out View Post
    See if your everyday walking shoes are worn out. When my shoes get worn out, I get ankle pain.
    I do believe you are on to something there. I am overdue for a new pair. Suggestions? I'm generally in sneakers (New Balance right now) and have heard good things about Asics and Saucony.

-RJP

I do believe you are on to something there. I am overdue for a new pair. Suggestions? I'm generally in sneakers (New Balance right now) and have heard good things about Asics and Saucony.

-RJP
    I loves the SAS shoes I had a few years back. They cost a bomb but are without a doubt THE most comfortable pair of shoes I've worn in recent memory. And made in USA.

starting strength coach development program

-RJP
    get something stylish at Aldo.