starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep Question

Default Sleep Question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Most nights I routinely awake usually between 2 and 3 am for some period of time, so I get 3-4 hours of unbroken sleep, followed by maybe two more hours of sleep. Since Its lights out between 930 and 1030 most nights, and need to be up by 430 ams (some days) 6am on most days. I am concerned that this is no where near enough sleep, and that I am getting accustomed to this. How can I break the middle of the night wake up cycles? Getting to bed earlier especially during the warmer seasons is tough, and I can't sleep much later or its not enough get ready time in the morning, not withstanding early gym visits. I do not think I can take melatonin because I have mild hypertension (under control with meds).

I could go to the gym after work around 5 or so but it is busiest between 5 and 8. many days I try to be there for 530 am. A home gym might help but that is not going to solve my problem anytime soon.

Blueliner

Use the search function here for "sleep hygiene". I've seen posts on it by Jordan Feigenbaum. For example: do you drink caffeine within 8 hours of bedtime?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueliner View Post
    Most nights I routinely awake usually between 2 and 3 am for some period of time
    Can you describe what you feel like when you wake up? Breathing hard? Heart racing? Tense? Middle of a dream? How long does it take to get back to sleep? Do you get out of bed when you wake up?

I know Jordan posted something recently about the us of melatonin and its use in getting a person to fall asleep, but it only works for about 2 weeks or so. There are a lot of other herbs and natural remedies out there to try depending on what you believe in.

You're likely coming out of a sleep cycle. How old are you?

I have a similar issue sometimes.

If you're married, forget about proper sleep hygiene, particularly when it comes to temperature (cold), light levels (pitch black), and noise level (dead silent).

I don't know, new bed?

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    You're likely coming out of a sleep cycle. How old are you?

I have a similar issue sometimes.

If you're married, forget about proper sleep hygiene, particularly when it comes to temperature (cold), light levels (pitch black), and noise level (dead silent).

I don't know, new bed?
    Thanks for your reply, Im 50 and married, teenage kids, most nights I sleep in another room in the basement...no light and cooler (wife is a restless sleeper, she wakes me up not in a good way...mostly) I also go to bed earlier, get up earlier I like wind down, so sharing a bed is not always a good option. I dont drink caffeinated drinks after mid afternoon. Dont watch a lot of TV either. I guess its just the way it is and another reason why YNDTP for me. I have to water it down a bit.

Your sleep sitch is not that bad, not great, but stressing about it will just make it worse. There is some research suggesting the broken sleep thing is actually more natural to humans anyway...Maybe knowing that will help.

It sounds like you are sleeping in a cool, dark place - which would be my go to advice. I'd agree with most of the other advice in this thread already. I have been taking Chaos & Pain Hypnos on rough nights, which is about the only wacky supplement I have ever tried, but I like it a lot and recommend it.

Hypnos- Sleed Aid

Sometimes if you are newish to training it takes a while for the body to adjust, ultimately your body will generally learn what to do if you give it the right conditions to do so.

Try ZMA. It works well for me and I got my wife on it too. It also helps for recovery (I am not sure if it helps because sleep helps recovery or because the composition of ZMA).

Two words. Sleep. Hygiene.

starting strength coach development program
    Sounds like plain old insomnia. There are multiple possible reasons. Google will give you plenty of info.

If this just came on suddenly, most likely culprit is stress. If this is the case, then it should diminish as whatever stress you have subsides. It can also be caused by other things, including sleep apnea. Hopefully, the issue will pass. If it persists for an extended period, it would probably be beneficial to talk to a sleep doc. They can help diagnose the cause and find treatments to help resolve it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast