starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duck Fumbells' SS Log

Default Duck Fumbells' SS Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    34 y/o, 6'0, 203 lbs. Began lifting around one year ago (very off and on since college before that) and began SS six weeks ago. Starting this log for accountability, reflection, and advice. Quick recap from the last 6 weeks:

Started 8/8/16:
    195 lbs
    SQ: 115x5x3
    PR: 105x5x3
    DL: 220x5x1
    BN: 185x5x3
    PC: 88x3x5

Last 2 Workouts
    9/6/16:
    SQ: 225x5x3
    BN: 215x3, 210x4, 205x4
    PC: 115x3x5

9/12/16
    SQ: 230x5x3
    PR: 130x3, 127x4x2
    DL: 296x2x1

Goals:
    1. 405 DL, 315 SQ, 225 BN, & 135 PR w/in the next year
    2. I've got 3 boys (4, 3, and almost 2 y/o). In addition to being healthy enough to play hoops with them when they're teenagers, I want to be good enough at this to introduce them to weight training.

9/15/16

204 lbs
    SQ: 235x5x3
    BN: 215x5x3
    PC: 115x3x2, 88x3x2

Had so much pain in my biceps after squats that I couldn't even get through my bench warm ups. I had to come back and get finish my bench and cleans during lunch (I workout early in the morning).

Looks like there's a ton of info out there about bicep pain from squatting but if anyone has any experience, would love to hear.

First 2 sets of power cleans were garbage, so I dropped the weight and worked on form.

9/19/16

203 lbs
    SQ: 240 (3,5,3)
    PR: 127 (3,4,2)
    DL: 296x2x1

Biceps felt a little better after squats today (widened my grip slightly and focused on flaring my elbows back), although forearms got pretty sore.

Completing squat sets had been an absolute grind the past 3 workouts, so I figured it was going to catch up with me soon. Will try 240 one more time Wednesday and then reset if I don't hit it. Going to reset Press & DL Friday.

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you can reach your goals sooner than you think!

Welcome. Good name. Dumbells are mostly for Dumbells.

I don't know that I've ever heard of bicep pain from squats. Are you sure the pain is not in your elbows? Have you posted a vid in the technique section? You may find that helpful if you haven't done so already. I always recommend that lifters see a coach. Find a certified Starting Strength coach and go see him/her.

9/21/16

202 lbs
    SQ: 240x3x3
    BN: 220x1 135x5x2
    PC: 98x3x5

Not a great day. Knew I should've reset squats by wanted to wait until I missed reps at least twice. Biceps and forearms were dead from squats. I don't know if it is tendinitis or just not having strong enough arms to support the bar, but it is absolutely killing my presses right now. At this point I don't really even feel like I'm getting much of a leg or back workout from squats; the pain is all in my arms.

Couldn't get through bench today (even after waiting 25 mins after squats). I did the last 2 sets with only one plate just so I could finish the workout.

Wish I had started this log during the first six weeks when everything was going smoothly.

Ironically I did film my last set of squats today (which actually felt like they came up pretty well), but my phone ended up not recording it (storage). I do need to get with a coach. It has to be from my grip/bar placement. I just rewatched Rip's rack position video. Checking the directory, not finding too many SS coaches in the Sacramento area.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrck View Post
    Checking the directory, not finding too many SS coaches in the Sacramento area.
    It'd be worth a trip down to the Bay Area, in my opinion. There are a gazillion SSCs in the Bay Area.

Try searching the forum for biceps tendinitis -- sound like what you may be experiencing (due to grip or bar placement). Standard protocol is a bunch of high rep chins and/or curls.

Welcome!

I hear you, man. I've had all manners of issues with my arms, squats, and tendinitis.

Last year I lost a month due to really nasty tendinitis in my left brachialis, the muscle that sits behind the biceps and flexes the forearm.

Recently, I've been dealing with proximal biceps tendinitis in my right arm, a condition I developed about two years ago when I was doing P90. I thought I beat it, but it flared up again recently.

So, here's the "official" board recommendation for treatment of "tendinitis/tendinosis"

http://startingstrength.com/resource...tml#post902273

As for me, I dealt with the brachialis by not squatting for almost a month; I just couldn't get into position under the bar. I also tried a lot of high volume dumbbell hammer curls, but what really did the trick was just plain old barbell curls. The trick is to get the whole area good and inflamed so that the chronic condition is made acute, allowing the original injury to be finally healed. Also, naproxin.

I'm still working on the biceps tendonitis. The first time I stopped doing that other program and followed an orthopod's advice of taking naproxin to clear it up. It was around then that I started SS.

This time, I've found that really high volume 90 degree biceps curls are smashing the hell out of it. These are done by locking the forearm perpendicular to the humerus and lifting your elbows up, bringing the bar to your forehead. Interspersed with ibuprofen.

In both cases, form errors were the culprit. The brachialis was the result of improper hand position, too far up in the palm, cranked elbows, and thoracic flexure.

I'm pretty sure the biceps issue was from bench pressing and letting my elbows flare out too much.

Mind carefully the Rip bar position and grip videos. Carrying the bar with your hands is a recipe for disaster, trust me.

starting strength coach development program
    I gather that you have looked at the section of the forum that lists locations of SS coaches. If the Bay area coaches are your closets to you then go see one. Since the Bay area is within 2,000 miles of Sacramento it's well worth the trip.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast