starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whey Protein

Default Whey Protein

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I weigh a little over 230 (I'm 6'7"), and I am going with the suggestion of trying to get about 230 grams of protein per day.

Will taking Whey at night (I work out in the mornings) or at other times in the day work well for assisting me in reaching these goals? I was looking into getting Casein because I heard it was "slow release" while Whey was only effective after a work out—but then I came across an article saying this isn't true. I just wanted some clarification. Basically, could I use Whey, let's say, 24 hours after a workout and that protein be absorbed just fine?

Hope this makes sense, thanks!

Skip the casein and just use whey for all your supplemental protein needs.

Default Cody Miller or Mark Rippetoe: who knows what about whey?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Skip the casein and just use whey for all your supplemental protein needs.
    In March 2016 Rippetoe said:
    Making a Shake

In September 2016 Cody Miller wrote:
    Stop Wasting Money - Nutrition Supplements that Actually Work

Did Rip just tell everyone to spend 3/4ths of their money getting 55g fatter or does Miller need to man-up and pound some protein?

Quote Originally Posted by BryanS View Post
    Making a Shake

Did Rip just tell everyone to spend 3/4ths of their money getting 55g fatter or does Miller need to man-up and pound some protein?
    Explain and make sure to include how 75g of protein will make you fat.

Making a Shake

Rip made that shake for himself, and in the video he explains how an older population needs more protein because the gut doesn't absorb it quite as well.

I like casein for my evening (pre bed) protein hit because my understanding is that as you say it takes longer to be released, so it is effectively a 'slow release' protein while I sleep.

That said - I also do it because it's convenient and my favourite supplement supplier makes a convenient hot chocolate style casein / whey drink that I enjoy drinking. I really doubt it makes that much of a difference at all. Just make sure you get enough protein and space it out through the day so you're constantly topped up and give your body the maximum opportunity to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by BenM View Post
    I like casein for my evening (pre bed) protein hit because my understanding is that as you say it takes longer to be released, so it is effectively a 'slow release' protein while I sleep.

That said - I also do it because it's convenient and my favourite supplement supplier makes a convenient hot chocolate style casein / whey drink that I enjoy drinking. I really doubt it makes that much of a difference at all. Just make sure you get enough protein and space it out through the day so you're constantly topped up and give your body the maximum opportunity to use it.
    Eh, I am not really a fan of sentiments like this to be honest. I think casein is one of the most overhyped supplements out there, especially compared to whey. Whey actually keeps amino acid levels higher for longer than casein. Strange huh? Does it make a different in total muscle protein synthesis? Meh, maybe not over the course of a few months or weeks, but over years? Possibly. Plus, casein is usually more expensive than whey. So, I just recommend people use whey 100% of the time if they can tolerate it.

Eh, I am not really a fan of sentiments like this to be honest. I think casein is one of the most overhyped supplements out there, especially compared to whey. Whey actually keeps amino acid levels higher for longer than casein. Strange huh? Does it make a different in total muscle protein synthesis? Meh, maybe not over the course of a few months or weeks, but over years? Possibly. Plus, casein is usually more expensive than whey. So, I just recommend people use whey 100% of the time if they can tolerate it.
    Fair enough. To be fair, the drink in question is a blend of both casein and WPC, so I am getting both... it's also designed specifically to be consumed as a hot beverage so it's convenient for that time of night. So it's both a matter of marketing and convenience.....

I drink whey at other times of the day so it's not as if I'm solely relying on it. Suppose there's no reason I couldn't heat up a normal chocolate flavoured whey drink in the evenings either.

Explain and make sure to include how 75g of protein will make you fat.
    Rippetoe is advocating 75 g protein intake in one feeding which presumably takes <<3 hours

Miller cites research that claims:
    1) leucine is the amino acid principally responsible for contractile protein synthesis,
    2) 3-4 g of leucine is all that can be metabolized in that fashion in a 3-hour period with the excess going to "futile metabolic reactions", and
    3) 20 g of whey contains 4 g of leucine

From the above one could infer that Miller is stating the rate of consumption which Rippetoe is advocating (75 g / hour) exceeds the ability of the body to make use of the leucine for contractile protein synthesis by nearly 3x (55 g) and therefore the excess is committed to a "futile" metabolic process presumably either fueling ATP production or more likely, fat deposition as anyone on an SS program who is trying to gain weight is likely in a positive energy balance.

What are the "futile" processes?
    What would Miller say becomes of the protein intake which exceeds the 20 g (4 g leucine) / 3 hours rate that is being stated as a maximum?
    What would Miller suggest as a means of consuming the 2 g / kg body mass / day that is nearly universally recommended for driving contractile protein synthesis (20 g / 3 hours = 160 g / day which is enough for an 80 kg human, much smaller than csapaugh)?

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

starting strength coach development program
    Rippetoe is advocating 75 g protein intake in one feeding which presumably takes <<3 hours

Miller cites research that claims:
    1) leucine is the amino acid principally responsible for contractile protein synthesis,
    2) 3-4 g of leucine is all that can be metabolized in that fashion in a 3-hour period with the excess going to "futile metabolic reactions", and
    3) 20 g of whey contains 4 g of leucine

From the above one could infer that Miller is stating the rate of consumption which Rippetoe is advocating (75 g / hour) exceeds the ability of the body to make use of the leucine for contractile protein synthesis by nearly 3x (55 g) and therefore the excess is committed to a "futile" metabolic process presumably either fueling ATP production or more likely, fat deposition as anyone on an SS program who is trying to gain weight is likely in a positive energy balance.
    The futile processes don't result in fat deposition, in general.

What are the "futile" processes?
    Proton shuttling across the cell membrane.

What would Miller say becomes of the protein intake which exceeds the 20 g (4 g leucine) / 3 hours rate that is being stated as a maximum?
    It gets oxidized for fuel.

What would Miller suggest as a means of consuming the 2 g / kg body mass / day that is nearly universally recommended for driving contractile protein synthesis (20 g / 3 hours = 160 g / day which is enough for an 80 kg human, much smaller than csapaugh)?
    I don't understand this question, but 160g of animal derived protein per day is likely sufficient for most guys, but then there are trace proteins making up a significant portion of total daily protein, which drives total protein intake up higher.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast