starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pramod's novice log

Default Pramod's novice log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    33 year old male, 5"10 - complete beginner

Started SS about three weeks ago. No prior weight training, used to be a regular runner until I injured my feet and gave up. Always looked skinny for my weight.
    I could not do 10 pushups in a row when I started SS - total lack of upper body/shoulder strength.

------------------------------------------------------------
    Beginning lifts 3 weeks ago(Aug 27th, 2016):

Weighed 175 lbs at 30% body fat
    Squat: 110x5x3 (Poor form with knees buckling in on every rep, no hip drive to speak of)
    Deadlift: 135x5x3 (This was easy)
    Press: 45x5x3 (weakest of my lifts and this was hard)
    Bench: 70x5x3

As of yesterday(Sep 18th, 2016):

Weighed 191 lbs at 27% body fat
    Squat: 165x5x3 (good form with hip drive and knees pushed out, no more knee buckling & Felt easy)
    Deadlift: 215x5x1 (reverse grip, felt easy)
    Press: 85x5x1, failed second set completely due to back hyperextending

Bench: 100x5x3
    ------------------------------------------------------------

I work at a computer/desk all day and never exercised my upper body. So my shoulders are weak as hell.
    The goal is to get the press & bench to body weight and squat/deadlift to 300ish range by this time next year.
    Not worried about gaining weight or losing abs - shooting for 220+ lbs asap.

Have been eating lots of protein, about 3500 calories total(includes 5 glasses of whole milk) and sleeping 8 hours a day.
    Taking whey protein, creatine and BCAA(Thanks to Jordan's posts on nutrition).
    My wife is supportive of the strength goals(may be not the weight gain) and we have a big gym right downstairs, so I really have no reason to not step up and get strong.

Here we go!

Very impressive gains for just 3 weeks. There are several certified SS coaches in your area. I always recommend at least a consultation. They can detect and correct most errors before they become problems. Keep up the good work.

I enjoy logs that start very low, with lots of room for improvement. I started pressing 65 lbs last year and just hit big plates for a single not too long ago...and 120ish for a set of 5. Your shoulders and chest will grow much bigger as you lift a little more at a time and gain weight, and you will feel great. Welcome.

Thanks guys.

9/20/2016

Squat: 170x5x3 (I think I finally got the low bar position, didn't hurt to put the bar on shoulders today)
    Bench: 105x5x3
    Deadlift: 225x5x1 (still easy)

My pecs are not sore at all - makes me think I am babying the weight on the bench and taking it too slow and being over cautious because of my low press numbers.
    Woke up after a good night's sleep and no soreness anywhere.

9/22/2016:

Squat: 175x5x3
    Press: 70x5x3
    Deadlift: 235x5x1

This is the first time I tried the press with a barbell instead of a bar with fixed weights. Almost pulled my quad trying to maintain form.
    Had to deload to 70 and finally figured out how to push the bar up in a vertical path in the 3rd set, I think.

9/24/2016:

Squat: 180x5x3
    Bench Press: 115x5x3
    Deadlift: 245x5x1

Deadlift got moderately hard. Might have to do 5lb jumps soon and start on the power cleans.
    Bench press - it was easy to get the weight off my chest for all the reps, considering the 10lb jump.
    My right arm/tricep was shaking just after taking the weight off the rack and holding it at lockout before any reps. I guess it is the weakest link in the chain.

Great start! Keep it going!

Thanks!

9/27/2016:

Body weight: 195lbs

Squat: 185x5x3
    Press: 75x5x3
    Deadlift: 255x5x1

Was running late to work and skipped breakfast today. That affected the workout a little bit - everything was more tiring.
    Otherwise nothing I couldn't handle in terms of weight/reps.

9/29/2016:

Squat: 190x5x3
    Bench Press: 125x5x3
    Deadlift: 265x5x1

Bench press was a bit challenging. I might only have one more 10lb increase left.
    Deadlift is getting heavy, but still manageable. Squat was easy.

starting strength coach development program
    10/1/2016:

Squat: 195x5x3
    Press: 80x5x3
    Deadlift: 275x5x1

Squat was easy. Although it is irritating something on the back of my right shoulder and affecting my press after it.
    I should remember to do the press first next time.

Deadlift was hard! It was lights out during every rep. Definitely have to get down to 5lb increases. Just exhausted and hungry from deadlift work set. Thankfully I have a
    dinner party to go to and recover from the hard work today. All the chicken at the dinner better watch out!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast