starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chasing gainz to (hopefully) lose the gut

Default Chasing gainz to (hopefully) lose the gut

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been overweight my whole life, and while I have been a member of a gym for several years now, I was mostly a non-participating donor, or I'd make good progress during the winter but lose it all when golf season came around, and my priorities changed. However, about 13 months ago, I had to lose some weight quickly for an insurance screening through work, and asked on a golf forum that I frequent if anyone had any advice on how to do that as I've only successfully found ways to gain weight quickly. JoeJ (a.k.a. Blugold) gave me a weight training program mixed with HIIT, along with a severely restricted diet, and I lost 20 lbs in a little over a month. That program was completely unsustainable, but got me hooked on weight training as a form of training that I didn't hate, and I started following the SS novice program. I've been lurking around this amazing place since then, and I've finally decided to start a log and hopefully this will help hold me more accountable. A number of you have already inspired me or helped educate me more than you know, so thanks to all who make this place possible and contribute so willingly to help others realize the joy of strength.

Today's stats:
    Height: 6'1"
    BW: 300lbs

Work set weights
    Squat: 280
    Press: 125
    Bench: 185
    Deads: 385
    Kroc rows: 50
    Pull up assist: 200 lbs (going down)

Program
    MWF (though with 3 kids under 6, that's up for negotiation more than I'd like)
    Alternate A and B

Routine A:
    Squats 3x5
    OHP 3x5
    Kroc rows 10,10, 25+

Routine B:
    Bench 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Assisted Pull ups 3x10
    Last edited by Nebgolfer; 09-20-2016 at 06:45 AM.

Missed Wednesday and Friday because I was golfing so hit it yesterday morning.

Bench - 190 3x5 and felt really good.

Deads - 395 1x4, should have bumped it to 390 from last time but ego got in the way and tired legs from 3 days of golf in a row meant a missed last rep.

Pull ups 3x10 at 195 lbs of assist felt horrible after a tough set of deads but got then done.

After that I went to an Octoberfest themed party and drank and ate way worse than I should have and probably gave back all my progress. Back after it tomorrow.

Welcome aboard. Consistency will be the key to your success. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by waistline warrior View Post
    Welcome aboard. Consistency will be the key to your success. Good Luck!
    Thanks. Hopefully with winter coming things will slow down and I'll have no excuse but to go to the gym.

Consistency is necessary. Perhaps you can find a way to both golf and lift weights. What is your age? If you can get this down early in life you won't have as many problems in later years when it is more difficult to lose weight. You seem rather strong to start. Keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Consistency is necessary. Perhaps you can find a way to both golf and lift weights. What is your age? If you can get this down early in life you won't have as many problems in later years when it is more difficult to lose weight. You seem rather strong to start. Keep it up.
    I'm 32. This summer it wasn't so much the golf but everything else that happens in the summer with 3 young kids, and my wife (for some reason) wanting me around to help out. Golf season is basically over for the year so hopefully I can figure out a good schedule to work for both lifting and life.

9/27/16

Squat - 135 1x5, 205 1x5, 255 1x5, 285 3x5

Second work set:

*yes there is a 2.5 plate between the 45 and 25; my brother and I were alternating sets and he's 50lbs lighter on his squats, so we just loaded and unloaded the 25 vs putting them in order.

Press - 65 1x5, 85 1x5, 105 1x5, 130 3x5

DB Rows - 30 10/side, 45 10/side, 55 20/side

Had an insurance screening at work and wasn't very happy with the numbers. I don't care so much about the weight, but the body fat % and waist measurement were really high, so I figure if I can get those lowered, the weight should take care of itself. If anything, that will help motivate me over the next year to keep working on my diet and my lifts to become a better version of me.

On vacation up in Wisconsin and lifted with JoeJ at his gym last night.

Squats - worked up to 290 3x5
    Press - worked up to 125 1x3 just to work on some form things I've been struggling with.
    Bench - 225x1 for a new 1RM and it felt really good
    Deadlift - 405x1 and again working on some new form cues.

Was so nice having a somewhat trained eye helping make sure my form was solid.

Finally back from vacation and hit the gym last night.

Bench - 195 3x5 felt really good so loaded up 225 and did a single and it felt great, especially after having just done my fives.

Deadlift - was supposed to do 375 by 5 but my brother had 405 on for his work set so I opted to do that instead and got it up 3 times which I was happy with.

Assisted pull ups - was feeling pretty drained so didn't up the weight from last time but did 2 sets of 10, and a set of 12 to finish it off.

starting strength coach development program
    10/7
    Squats
    135x5
    185x5
    225x4
    275x3
    295 3x5

Press
    75x5
    95x5
    115x4
    135 1x5 was completely spent and had to deload after that
    95 2x5

Rows
    30x10 each arm
    45x10
    55x25

10/10
    Bench
    115x5
    155x5
    175x4
    200 3x5

Deadlift
    225x5
    315x4
    365x3
    395x5
    Trying to decide if I should do 400 next time or just man up and jump to 405.

Assisted pull ups
    302 body weight today
    200 lbs assist x 10
    195x10
    190x10
    I really don't like pull ups.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast