starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Slevin's Log

Default Slevin's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello All

I've always wanted to start a log on here to track progress and all the the crap that goes with it. I'm 35 yo male, 6'2", around 185 to 190 lbs. I was introduced to SS a little over a year ago which was around the same time I had knee surgery for a torn lateral meniscus. Post surgery I dropped the squat and deadlift from my training completely for several months with the understanding from my doctor that I should not squat at all. He didn't say anything about deadlifting so around spring time 2016 I included that into my training again. During the summer time I didn't follow the programming to a "T". Around the beginning of August 2016 I said fuck this, I'm squating again and began follow the SS LP programming again. However, I basically started completely over with squats at 95 lbs which was fine by me.

I've lifted in the past decade and a half but primarily focused on running long distance. At my peak was same height and 153 lbs. Fucking skinny but I could run like the wind. Unfortunately, all the running made me weaker than I thought I was and I believe really wasn't all the pleasant to my joints. Time to get strong.

I use the SS app which is really nice and helpful for keeping me on track while lifting.

My first recorded training session was on 8/31/16:
    Squat 165 x 3 x 5
    Press 110 x 3 x 5
    DL 245 x 1 x 5

9/2/16
    Squat 175 x 3 x 5
    BP 175 x 3 x 5
    PC 45 x 5 x 3 (started learning PC this day)

9/6/16
    Squat 185 x 3 x 5
    Press 115 x 3 x 5
    DL 255 1 x 5

9/9/16
    Squat 195 x 3 x 5
    BP 180 3 x 5
    PC 55 5 x 3

9/12/16
    Squat 205 x 3 x 5
    Press 120 2 x 5 (failed last set)
    DL 265 1 x 5

9/14/16
    Squat 210 x 3 x 5
    BP 185 x 3 x 5
    PC 65 x 5 x 3

9/16/16
    Squat 215 x 3 x 5
    Press 120 x 1 x 5 (failed last rep on last two sets)
    DL 275 x 1 x 5

So the last training session was this past Friday. I caught a cold the day prior and it was just starting to settle in when I trained on Friday. My squat form was meh at best. I am weak when it comes to squat. Needless to say, with this cold I have, I'm probably out this entire week. I will most likely resume Monday 9/26 unless I happen to feel a bit better Friday. I'm going to deload on squat to correct form.

Welcome. You remain quite light if you hope to continue LP until you reach the maximum. I recommend at least a consultation with a certified SS coach. In fact I've worked with a coach for four years. Before you hurt yourself go see one.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome. You remain quite light if you hope to continue LP until you reach the maximum. I recommend at least a consultation with a certified SS coach. In fact I've worked with a coach for four years. Before you hurt yourself go see one.
    What do you mean by "remain quite light" out of curiosity? I would love to get a consultation with a coach in person. I haven't found one in my area. Plus I don't have the time nor $$ at the moment.

9/19/16
    Sick

9/21/16
    Sick

I skipped the past two training days due to a stupid cold and severe lack of sleep. Hopefully the 23rd will be a better day.

For your height your body weight is still quite light. Put another 20 lbs or so on and that should be about right. Post some technique pictures. It should suffice until you put enough money together to go see a certified SS coach. By the way, if a coach is within 2000 miles it's worth the trip.

Gotcha! I've slowly increased my caloric intake. I definitely want to get to a SS coach soon.

9/23/16

Squat: 220 × 3 × 5
    BP: 190 x 3 x 5
    PC: 75 x 5 x 3

I ordered the adipower shoes prior to this workout and was able to use them starting this training session. They make such a huge difference.

9/26/16

Squat: 225 x 2 x 5, 225 x 1 x 2
    Press: 120 x 1 x 5, failed last two sets
    DL: 285 x 1 x 5

I felt weak today. I'm still getting over a cold. I'm also starting to feel some pain in my right upper arm from squats. I believe it to be tendinitis and I have all the tools to address that thankfully. I mashed it afterwards on a lacrosse ball and it felt better.

This is the third time I've failed press at 120 so I'm going to deload next time.

Good luck. I'll follow along. Looks like we started with around similar stats, and i started coming off of a stretch of triathlon/running focus that left me skinny and weak. I'll echo what other said above. You gotta eat and gain weight (and rest). Happy to share what I've learned nutrition-wise over the years.

Are you still running? That will hurt your progress.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrl_19 View Post
    Are you still running? That will hurt your progress.
    I do not run anymore unless I have too. Thanks for the encouragement! I have been eating more. I started out by just increasing my caloric intake by approximately 100 to 150 cals a week. Rest is tough to come by at the moment. I probably get about 6 hours a night. On a good night it could be 8.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast